Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living/Family Room Photos
mymich
February 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Please see pictures below. I posted before: I have redone my fireplace wall in my family room to replace a very outdated full wall of rocks. it is now modern white with wainscoting and chrome sconces, but I now see this modern look doesn't fit with the rest of my room. The tables in front of the couch are temporary. There is no white anywhere else in the room. I was thinking about putting ottomans under the brown shelve to bring in some white. Any advice that wouldn't cost too too much greatly appreciated. I have already spent alot and am not too happy. Thank you. .
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mymich
I am the poster. Here is a better picture of the fireplace wall.
February 27, 2013 at 12:56PM   
carole
the white ottomans are a good idea,but still brings in the white on the same side of the room,get some cushions and a throw in whites and then see if you can find a big mirror hang it over the couch so it reflexts the white of the new mantle or put white frames...
February 27, 2013 at 1:05PM   
mymich
great idea. Do you think it is bad that the sconces and hardware are chrome? Should I change them? I would lose about $600 dollars but will do it if they look bad. I know chrome is very modern. I love the photo here.
February 27, 2013 at 1:07PM     
judianna20
mymich, hi, the fireplace and the sconces are winners. Nice job.

Hard to get a true feeling of your room, but first:

Is your rug centered in the room?

Is there an arm on the far end of the sofa? If so I would move that other piece out of the room.

i think the shelf should not be on that paneled wall. Bring it over behind the sofa, as if it is a sofa table (pull the sofa out from the wall.)

Move the leather chair and ottoman to the right of the fireplace and put it on the rug. Floor lamp there, too.

Mirror or painting over the fireplace.

Two lamps on the shelf behind the sofa.

Bench for a coffee table, or something inexpensive. maybe overstock.com.

Do you do ruelala.com or MyHabit.com? Today ruelala has some good furniture and lighting.
February 27, 2013 at 1:11PM     
mymich
Thank you. Shelf has to be on paneled wall too late to change that. There are arms on both ends sectional but not in middle piece. I agree something has to go over fireplace. I cant move the leather chair cause shelf is there and has to remain there. Yes, I am getting a coffee table; overstock is a good idea. My biggest concern is the sconces and the chrome handles on my tv console; they are chrome and very modern while everything else is not. Do you think I need to change them? here is a photo attached of my tv console with chrome handles.
February 27, 2013 at 1:21PM   
judianna20
I really like the photos carole posted. You could get that effect easily by painting the sofa wall. Actually, I would paint all the walls white.

Is the border of your rug black?
February 27, 2013 at 1:34PM     
mymich
yes border of rug is black. I thought about taking down wallpaper and painting all walls white but think that may be very expensive. not sure. Would just plain white walls look good on the rest or would I need wainscotting? Thank you .
February 27, 2013 at 1:39PM   
mymich
help please. Should I paint all other walls white? would that bring room together? should I get rid of chrome sconces and hardware or can I somehow integrate them into Room? What about paiting parts of white wall brown and just leaving white molding? Feeling so upset. Thanks.
February 27, 2013 at 1:47PM   
mymich
Tatjanaoh: that brown and white room is gorgeous. Maybe I could do that in my room? Do you know name of brown color? Ugh all this money.
February 27, 2013 at 1:55PM   
0825sam
I don't know if anyone has answered your plea about the chrome :) Personally, I think you are fine. I am not a designer, but I am not getting an out of place vibe from your sconces or hardware. You can add a little shine elsewhere (coffee table, etc) with some accessories.
February 27, 2013 at 2:02PM   
carole
you can paint over the wallpaper,that way it will keep some the texture,it a little more work,but i have done this many times,first use a broad brush,like they use for ceilings and dab the paint on so it gets into the nooks and then roller it about 15 minutes later with fresh paint on the roller,that will do the job!!
February 27, 2013 at 2:03PM   
0825sam
A bowl or something like it for your coffee table to tie in the chrome

February 27, 2013 at 2:04PM     
tatjanaoh
I do hope youll find something for you regards
February 27, 2013 at 2:04PM   
carole
and bring in more chrome colored accesoires as you go,maybe in a frame or a lamp,you have done the right thing updating the FP wall,now just keep changing little by little,dont stress,decorating can/should be fun!!
February 27, 2013 at 2:05PM   
mymich
what about a chrome and glass coffee table? What do we think? Everyone has great suggestions.
February 27, 2013 at 2:05PM     
mymich
THANK YOU ALL , I am feeling better and calm. May just take down wallpaper, paint walls white, and bring in chrome and glass coffee table and accessories. Thank you. Or fireplace wall, white and ivoryl and rest of wall ivory.
February 27, 2013 at 2:07PM     
mymich
any more suggestions greatly appreciated?
February 27, 2013 at 2:12PM   
carole
both are great ideas.........think ivory would be nicer,warmer.....keep us posted,please.....
February 27, 2013 at 2:13PM   
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
You've got some great feedback here! First of all, hire a designer next time. You'll save money and lots of rethinking. Ralph Lauren repopularized a 20th Century Metropolis look that brought dark wood floors and chrome accents back big time. Think a little Hollywood. Add a round or shaped mirror between the sconces. Paint the rest of the room the same. Now select a color found in the pattern of your carpet and make it a color that will play nice with the neighboring rooms. Let's say it's Navy Blue.
Repeat the combo of Navy and White with a Navy sofa piped in White. Use some chrome for small sidetables, lamps, and picture frames. Once the theme is in place add a few pieces that "mention" the other colors you like from that rug.
BTW, Greens of any shade will marry well with White.
February 27, 2013 at 2:17PM     
mymich
GREAT IDEAS> just one question, when you same paint rest of walls same. Do you mean paint them white? Will plain white walls be ok? Otherwise, I think I will use all your suggestions. Next time designer for me. Thanks.
February 27, 2013 at 2:19PM   
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hi mymich -- Don't get discouraged, I like what you've done so far. It's different, which is good, once you get it all together. You've had some great advice already. Seeing your last photo showing some white wainscot peeking out of the adjacent hall, if you follow carole's suggestion of a strong grouping of pix framed in white, you will effectively disperse that color more evenly.

Your sconces are very nice! What I suggest is that you commit to a color palate of whites/grays/silvers, golds in metallic and wall color, and the browns of your furnishings. You can mix metals, you just have to do it across the room, bringing golds across to the white wall and whites and silvers into the rest of the room:
February 27, 2013 at 2:21PM     
mymich
I love those photos. I cant seem to print them out. Oh my god, you made my room beautiful. Is there any way to email them to me at donnabraunstein@gmail.com?You are talented. The sconces are chrome based.
February 27, 2013 at 2:26PM   
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Sure mich, I'll try.
February 27, 2013 at 2:28PM   
carole
jeffrey?are these the kind of rugs that could go with the room??i have tried to find R L 20th C but no info on that!!so dont understand that reference??
February 27, 2013 at 2:35PM   
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Yup! Making the room all the same white will tie it all together, give you the mood of a gallery, and create calm. This is an efficient way to spend your time and money too.
February 27, 2013 at 2:46PM     
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Needed a drape on the left
February 27, 2013 at 3:19PM   
mymich
yes just have not gotten to that yet. thanks.
February 27, 2013 at 3:28PM   
mymich
to Jeffrey Brooks: did you mean paint all the walls white? The fireplace is a shiny white : should the walls be shiny too? Or do I need to repaint fireplace? open to anyone suggestion. The rooms off this room are my hallway which has striped tone on tone (goldish) grasscloth wallpaper and my kitchen which has white cabinets and floral wallpaper, very colorful. Open to anyone's suggestions please
March 3, 2013 at 9:45AM   
carole
i think barnhartgallery has given you a great colorpallete to work with,it means you can keep the walls as they are and start bringing all the colors together by bringing the artwork/pictures,soft furnisnishing in in those colors,one thing i would like to say,i like the color ofthe big copper pot,but not the shape and its to big for the room,keep it,itis nice but put it in another room or hall if you can,the ottomans dont need to be white!!
March 3, 2013 at 9:56AM   
mymich
yes i love barnhart's comments and that is where I am thinking of leaning. I cant find rest of thread from him.
March 3, 2013 at 10:02AM   
mymich
carol, i saw a photo you posted of a brown wooden console table with curved legs and a brown mirror above. Dont know how to post there. Do you know where they were from?
March 3, 2013 at 12:23PM   
carole
i remember now!! it was "empty foyer"........look under - art deco hall furniture....lots of different ones!!!
March 3, 2013 at 2:20PM