powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I want to remodel my bathroom. It's 7'8" x 8'5". Ideas?
Garden's Edge Growers
February 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
There is a closet on the other side of the shower. I thought about knocking out the wall and combining the bathroom and closet. If I did that it would be 14'6" X 8.5. I thought about having one wall a closet with sliding doors. I would like a spa feel. Help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Connie
think you are on the right track. Another idea I have seen, is to use the wardrobes as a dividing wall giving you a smaller "dressing area" on the wardrobe side, and along the back of it, you can tile, have you vanity, bath, etc. So you end up with something like a 8.5 x 6' dressing area, and gain 2feet extra in the bathroom . Hope that makes sense.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 6:43PM
PRO
Garden's Edge Growers
It does. Thanks for your input. Attached is a sketch of my idea. Suggestions appreciated.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 7:11PM
PRO
Tisdale Home Solutions, LLC
Questions on your sketch ... what is the measurement from the wall to the door casing where you plan to put the toilet? Are you on a crawlspace? Is that a 30" door above the shower and a 35" bifold below the shower? Thanks.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 7:29PM
PRO
Garden's Edge Growers
From wall to door casing is 30". I'm on a concrete slab. It is a 30" door to bathroom and 35" bifold into closet. This drawing is based on removing the wall separating the bathroom from the closet. Thanks!
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 7:52PM
PRO
Be prepared ... since you are on a concrete slab, if you want to move plumbing, it will require busting the concrete, moving, and re-pouring. Completely do-able, just a bit more expensive. I will try to generate something and post back ... will most likely be tomorrow.
2 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 8:07PM
PRO
Garden's Edge Growers
Thanks!
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 5:48AM
PRO
Garden's Edge Growers
Do you think it's worth moving plumbing? or should I try to make it work by not moving the plumbing.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 6:07AM
rinqreation
Always try first without moving the plumbing (especially the toilet's). Water can be adjusted quite easily, but drains in concrete are a pain in the &*^%.

Is it possible to enter the bathroom via the dresser, so the wall where the door is now can be used?
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 6:51AM
PRO
Garden's Edge Growers
Good idea. Let me see what I could do with using the closet door as the entrance. That would give me a lot more wall. Thanks!
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 7:03AM
rinqreation
Here something to get started. The toilet is still in the same place, I only turned it. (Hope the drain is downwards?) If I've done it right, it should all be in the right scale. The grey block on the side is where the wall used to be.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 8:55AM
PRO
Garden's Edge Growers
WOW! Thanks! I think you nailed it. What program did you use to do the layout?
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 9:10AM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi pveale, Nice help from ringqreation but I don't recommend a corner bath tub. Those are really dating and such a pain to fill.

You can draw your own bathroom for free online through Icovia.com - pretty much any reputable furniture store carries it and you can access the software for free through the furniture store. Punch in your room size, then add the pieces to the puzzle as you find the items you want. It's not rocket science, what is important are the finishes. Find your inspiration point and start designing! Good Luck...some inspiration for collecting your colour palette before your commit.
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 12:48PM
rinqreation
That was the room without the wall, now one with the wall still in there. I recommend a wall because of the humidity. Better to be able to close off the bathroom from the dresser when you need to. All will still fit in. A set of pocket or barn doors will look great without getting in the way.

In answer to Marie's post; it is a corner bath, but it's either a normal shape inside a corner. I wouldn't pick a hollow corner too for the filling (spilling) reasons. It just had better sizes to make combinations.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 1:22PM
PRO
Garden's Edge Growers
Great ideas! Thanks for your input. What do you think of a slipper claw foot tub installed with a built in corner or shelf? other ideas?
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 3:13PM
rinqreation
Personally? I would not pick a clawfoot, because I'd hate cleaning under it.
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 12:52AM
rinqreation
I'm having such fun! Here's another idea:
Cut the dresser almost in half (can you handle that?) and create a large walk-in shower. This way there's room for a claw foot tub (my opinion is it needs to be 'free'). No space for a double sink this way, but it's give and take. Barn doors on both openings will give easy access (or doors swinging outside).
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 1:41AM
PRO
Careful on the last design with the vanity spacing. Building codes in my area require a minimum of 30" clearance for the toilet (wall to vanity). Check your local codes.
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 11:16AM
rinqreation
That'll do, it's in scale. I took 90cms (35") for the toilet (less would be too narrow, code or not) and 90cms for the vanity. The total width is about 255cm (8'5"), so the opening to the shower can be 75cms (30").
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 2:12PM
PRO
Garden's Edge Growers
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. Attached is a drawing of what I like (thanks rin). Also attached are pictures of the master bedroom and the doors leading into the bath and closet and tile colors. Need color and ideas. Thanks again!!!
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 5:38PM
More Discussions
Living room decor and furniture placement help!
My couch is plumb colored and it seems like the room...
Foyer and living/dining room
Having a hard time trying to design a big focal point...
What do I do with this GAUDY Rococo Bedroom Set? Help
So, very good friends of mine moved to the Yucatan....
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.