Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with my 4 year old daughters room
Bec Hazra
February 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are building a new house and I am stuck on my daughters room. These are the pics that are inspiring me but I want something timeless that will last years. She loves everything pink and princess. These are few things that are inspiring me but I seem to be looking at things that may be a little old for her age. Help Please
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
The 4th photo wouldbe my choice as where to start your design. It is the most sophisticated, but also the most fun and the most creative--great headboard !!! as far as the bedding you could go a little more little girlish and chang it whe she get older. also love the coral color rather than plain pink--but it is a little monocromatic--I think youcould introduce a 2nd or 3rd color to the room.
February 27, 2013 at 7:00pm     
Bec Hazra
I love the bedhead too, no idea where It is from but am looking madly for something similar
February 27, 2013 at 7:26pm   
ktiquet
As a mom of boys I might view things differently but I think the 1 st chandelier and the 1st bed would be something that could work now and as she grows. The fabrics will be more of what makes the " little girl all pink " or " big girl grey black white and only a little pink " at four we are really decorating for us because they don't really care as long as they have toys in the room! Lol good luck
February 27, 2013 at 7:26pm     
PRO
Eagledzines
I agree with Pyramid Design Group. I would add that the lines of the furniture are important, whether it's the bed or dresser or armoire. If the lines are right, the furniture will be timeless. The bedding, drapery, wall treatment are all things that can be easily changed. Even the furniture can be repainted as she grows to reflect her stages of maturity. But if the lines look cheap or childish in a grown up setting, it won't be timeless. The armoire below is a good example of how the lines of the furniture are so important. This is so sweet but is also a piece of furniture she could take with her and be quite comfortable with after she left home if painted differently. (It just needs shelves above the drawers for a bedroom though)

The chandeliers are great. It's something she can't break!

February 27, 2013 at 7:27pm     
Laura Stermer
I feel your pain. I have a 1st and 2nd grader who are growing up too quick.

Here are few photos and then I'll comment below, some ideas to maybe look for.

Teenage Girl's Room
Pink Stripe Teen Room
Architectural photography
Sweet Dreams
Marshfield, MA
Playroom
February 27, 2013 at 7:33pm     
Laura Stermer
I am mostly commenting on things that can switch out or in, with time, with a great timeless furniture theme, as mentioned above, these would be easy to do.

in the first picture I love the playful lanterns and curtains. Although with a 4 year old, blinds and curtains can come down quick! lol. There is a lot of dancing and hopping at our house. In the next few photos, the walls are a lighter neutral that works great with the pops of color. The use of a throw rug and a little reading chair with ottoman, or putting a half crown with shears over the bed, or a curved shower curtain rod in a theater corner with a dress up caddie all work now. I included the picture of the architectural photography because the awnings immediately made me think of little storefronts that playmates could have an "outside" bistro set to have tea under, or a section of wicker baskets in cute little window boxes, or shelves under the window for an "outside" farmers market with plastic food, etc.

These little things can be easily removed and transitioned into more preteen and young adult when the time warrants.

Good luck!
February 27, 2013 at 7:49pm   
Laura Stermer
I found some similar bed styles here... http://ha.c-dn.us/images/thumb/h279j.jpg
February 27, 2013 at 8:13pm     
PRO
Debbie
As an interior designer, children's room have somewhat become a specialty of mine. My theory on children's rooms is think timeless. Children will grow up and will change their mind many times on what they want. If you can offer them something that can adapt easily with their new interest they will be happy. I like the pyramid bed as well. It is girly but in a way that can grow up with her. I would suggest the clear chandelier definitely because if you do change the bedroom at one point you can reuse it for something that is not pink. A perfect way to adapt this room to her current or future interest is to frame one of her drawings or a picture of a princess she likes and latter maybe a picture of her and a friend or guy she likes in a frame like the one over the bed side table. These images can all be changes easily to be personalized over time.

I like the fact the in this color scheme the most prominent color is not pink but unexpectedly orange with touches of blue and pink. This gives the pallet a bit more sophistication and definitely more longevity but no worries it is still definitely not to old for here because it still has plenty of whimsy.

so definitely my vote goes to the pyramid bed room.

If you have any further question please do not hesitate to ask or comment.

Sincerely,

Debbie, from Creation Aide
February 27, 2013 at 8:16pm     
Bec Hazra
Yay found the bed head from Serena and Lily, way too expensive for my budget but luckily we have a family friend who said he cold make something very similar for nothing.. Yay! Thank you all..
February 27, 2013 at 9:02pm     
Aja Mazin
A chandelier in a child's bedroom is rather pretentious.
February 27, 2013 at 9:20pm     
Bec Hazra
I don't think so.. But each to their own.
February 27, 2013 at 10:20pm     
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Bec, have you looked at RH Baby and Child online? They have beautiful furniture, chandeliers, pin boards, etc. I have lots of experience with their furnishings and with children's rooms, not just as a designer, but as a mom of four including one very welcome girl!
February 27, 2013 at 11:53pm   
Sigrid
I love the bed in picture 4. I'd be careful to stick to pink only on easily replaced furnishings. Have pink pillows, not a pink chandelier. It's quite possible your pink princess tot will turn into an 8 year old who makes gagging noises at pink. Pick a neutral color that goes well with pink and a non-girly accent color for the stuff that you aren't going to want to replace if your girl grows out of her fondness for pink a lot sooner than you expect.

I think there's nothing wrong with ageless good taste. I'd worry more about her growing out of something than design that is too old for her now.
February 28, 2013 at 12:04am     
Bec Hazra
Susan no I haven't I will check it out now
February 28, 2013 at 12:41am   
Bec Hazra
Sigrid.... Great point about the pink...
February 28, 2013 at 12:42am   
PRO
Debbie
if you do decide to go more neutral, don't forget this is still a child's bedroom so don't forget to have fun and whimsy as well.
February 28, 2013 at 8:20pm   
aniluap2
Love the headboard and pic#4. Being a mother of 3,with 2 grown girls now, I will tell you that their taste will change but if you have classic, unique pieces you will be able to adapt them to fit their style. That headboard coul b painted in the future and with different accessories could accomadate contemporary go boho style. Love I and I think she will too!
February 28, 2013 at 8:43pm