Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Convert dining & liv rms to library
llbn5
February 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We recently moved into this home and would like to convert formal dining & liv rms to a library. Of course, the ornate elements will be removed and we can hardly wait to tone down the color. We love natural wood, but can the white crown moulding get along with it? Furniture/paint suggestions much appreciated. Your thoughts re: replacing carpet with hardwood floor?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
handymam
What a beautiful room! I actually really like the wall color. (Can you tell me what it is?) I think it goes beautifully with your furniture and window trim. Do youknow if there is hardwood under the carpet? If you like hardwood, you could do that and get area rugs to push your room into the style direction you gravitate toward.

I would leave the crown molding white to appear as part of the ceiling. I would change the chair rail to would like the window trim though. Or paint it to look the same color as the trim.
February 28, 2013 at 7:39am   
PRO
EB Interiors
The room is great to work with. I would love to see a walnut color hardwood floor, nice med blue on top half and light tan on bottom. Keep your white trim. Fabric roman shades on the windows keeping top ones exposed. Good luck
February 28, 2013 at 7:46am   
llbn5
Thanks for the suggestions. FYI - the photos toned down this S.W.-1370 Imperial Gold. I guess it's overwhelming as 75% of house w/ 9 ft ceilings, 2 story entry & 6 panel doors are all this color. No hardwood under carpet in this 15 yr old suburban home, but the entry (near bay window) has need-to-be-refinished oak flooring. If we want to build bookshelves, would you paint them white or stain them window trim color (medium oak)?
February 28, 2013 at 7:56am   
handymam
If you are leaving the trim white, then I think you could paint them white, it would tie the trim into the room and make it "belong." That is going to be one great room when you are done! Have you considered an electric or gas fireplace in there? I would be spending all of my time in there reading by the fireplace! A couple of easy chairs flanking each side...
February 28, 2013 at 8:03am   
Jayme H.
I would leave the trim white. Hardwood would look great in this room.. I would go white with built in's in this room if I left the other trim white. (except your window).
February 28, 2013 at 8:10am   
tatjanaoh
some fotos
February 28, 2013 at 8:18am   
tatjanaoh
some fotos
February 28, 2013 at 8:19am     
PRO
Tracy Tesmer Remodeling
I love the crown but the chair rail seems out place because your base is wood toned. I would suggest that you remove the chair rail completely or paint the base trim white to match the crown. I am a fan of natural wood as well, but in this case, i think it would be better to stick with a nice oil based paint and paint out the window frames as well. Regarding the flooring, I think a deep wood tone (in the same tone as the enclosed bookcase- which is beautiful by the way) would look great in this room-A natural distressed flooring. Have you considered built-ins for shelving? I have attached some examples of flooring, chairs and paint color. Hope you like!
February 28, 2013 at 8:20am   
tatjanaoh
more fotos and ideas
February 28, 2013 at 8:27am   
llbn5
We like the fireplace idea on long wall (between 2x5 window & 5x5 window) and may center that on 15' wall with bookshelves on either side.
February 28, 2013 at 8:33am     
PRO
Tracy Tesmer Remodeling
The last picture
February 28, 2013 at 8:33am   
PRO
Tracy Tesmer Remodeling
Do you have a picture of the other side of the living room?
February 28, 2013 at 8:37am   
llbn5
What about front room arrangement? Front room: 13' from bay to rt. side of 2'x5' window. 14' across to stair corner wall. Just found a nice quality oak 54"wx40"h bookcase on Craigslist for stair corner, darn it. If we buy it, guess it shall be painted white (a crime). We're glad to remove chair rail. Incentive=most is matte, but one pc in ctr of wall is gloss...
February 28, 2013 at 8:50am   
PRO
karen paul interiors
AVIGNON LEATHER COLLECTION You will need a sofa and this Chesterfield style will help keep the room "neat" without cushions going rogue. Comes in two sizes, is well priced by Mitchell-Gold, and can be ordered in a fabric or leather.Hickory White Dining Room Round Dining Table 790-14 - Good's NC Discount Furnitu will need a dining table with or without leaves. I would suggest a pedestal style of something such as this on with legs centered and splaying out. This is by Hickory White, but there are so many at a variety of price points. BEVERLY ARM CHAIR[ available online ] on how many and how often people are seated at the table, you could begin with two of these stylized wing chairs. The pitch of the back is conducive to comfortable seating for dining. Perhaps you can place a table and two chairs such as these items in the bay window area. You can always place several smaller chairs around the table if you have the space or the need for more seating "in place".
February 28, 2013 at 8:57am     
PRO
Tracy Tesmer Remodeling
I do love that sofa above-- it would go nicely with the tuffted chair from my first post. Will the living room remain formal? or would you want it mostly comfortable?
February 28, 2013 at 9:04am   
llbn5
Mostly comfortable, yet I like the lines of that sofa. At first glance, that appears to be fabric, not leather. We had discussed a leather sofa with clean lines (no loose pillowback). I was surprised to see the table included. Is there a way to include dining table yet make this primarily a library? We have 8x8 dinette area in kitchen but that limits occasional guests.
February 28, 2013 at 9:23am   
PRO
karen paul interiors
The key to having the rooms remain looking like a library rather than a dining room is to have the type table or pedestal type, such as I pictured above. If you add chairs that are meant for dining but look more like wing chairs, then again you will have more of a library setting. In most libraries you will find a pedestal table. It is generally sitting in front of a wall of bookcases. However, you have a certain advantage with the bay window area for just such a vignette. That's not to say you can't use smaller chairs around the table. You could even consider four caster chairs which come in all styles. Just a thought.
February 28, 2013 at 9:33am     
collettec
I would remove all the chair rail. I would stain the bookshelves the trim color.
Wood floors sound great and I think a neutral color on the walls would be a choice to consider as the bookshelves and books will add a lot visually. The bay window might be the place for a desk and chair. Given the use of the perimeter walls for bookcases, this room might be a place to have a seating conversation area with three or four club chairs centered around a coffee table. Something like a bar cart might be a nice touch.
.... Just wanted to add if you are purchasing a stand alone furniture bookcase or have one - as shown, you might want to stain the other bookcases the same stain color as your existing bookcases so they coordinate well, even if not the same type of shelving/furniture.
February 28, 2013 at 9:50am   
apple_pie_order
White paint would look great, so would stained wood. The latter will not show dings and scraches nearly as much as the white. If you use white paint, use oil based paint because it dries better and is more durable when you slide books in and out across the surface.

Regarding the chair rail: if you leave it on, that will give space for electrical cords to be plugged into the outlets. If you cut openings in the backs of the bookcases at the locations of the electrical outlets, you will be grateful for years to come. If you don't cut out the openings, plan to plug in power strips with "flat to the wall" plugs before you place the bookcases. Here in earthquake country we bolt the bookcases to the wall, and it is a real pain to unbolt them, move the books, move the bookcases, and plug in anything that came loose.

Please do not install bookcases directly over carpet- the carpet will gradually get compressed. And when you have the carpet cleaned, water will ooze under the bookcases. Better to cut the carpet and use a shoe molding to finish off the base of bookshelves.
February 28, 2013 at 10:04am   
llbn5
Please describe how you envision furniture placement. Thanks for all of your input!
February 28, 2013 at 11:03am   
collettec
I think a lot depends on what you want to use the rooms for. Even given that this is a library room, the bookcases would only take up the exterior walls and not the interior of the room. What do you envision using the space for? A living/entertainment area? A study with desk area? Someplace for a table that people can sit around and visit, perhaps have something to eat. Two possibilities based on different uses - if going with a combo living/table area, you could keep it configured much like the traditional dining/living room, with perhaps the fireplace you mentioned and a seating arrangement around that in that area. Perhaps a desk area in the bay area. A padded bench with a small table and floor lamp in the cove where the stairs area. In the dining room area, a round table and chairs. If thinking of a living room/study as a possibility, would perhaps have the study and desk area where the dining room is and a few chairs in there with a table between. Have the living room area in the other section and the type of table mentioned above - a round one, in the bay area. Good luck!
February 28, 2013 at 11:42am   
PRO
karen paul interiors

we begin in this room, I would suggest your sofa on the large wall (on left), an electric fireplace that requires no venting where you have the bookcase unit presently, a comfortable chair with ottoman pulled out from the right-hand corner of your window wall at the juncture of the adjacent (proposed fireplace) wall and a smaller chair on the left side (facing) of your sofa, and angle it to face the large chair and ottoman. I would also put in a full door that swings in either direction on the opening to the kitchen. I would then build a 2-sided bookcase wall at the juncture of the two rooms, allowing for a six foot opening (with bookcase continuing over the opening) and would build the depth of it all, on the current dining room side (pictured).
February 28, 2013 at 4:33pm   
PRO
karen paul interiors
-liv-rms-to-library---Houzz--In this area I would place your current bookcase unit on the right wall, and place your table and chairs near the bay window area. You will also be able to place some comfortable chairs angled out from your built-in bookcase on this side of the room. So essentially you have your table and chairs near the bay and more comfortable chairs coming off the bookcase unit on this side.
February 28, 2013 at 4:56pm   
llbn5
We really appreciate the detailed layout and the bookcase wall will help define and add such style and a much desired cozy factor to this long space. One question: description of couch & fireplace rm layout is clear except this bookcase wall detail: 'and would build the depth of it all, on the current dining room side (pictured). Depth of it all?
February 28, 2013 at 8:30pm   
PRO
karen paul interiors
If you are only housing books and nothing else, your standard depth (inside) is 12" on EACH side. If you want a jut-out area for some depth at the bottom (door cabinets), 17" is adequate for one or both sides. You will want to check clearance from the edge of the sofa to where the bookcase units will begin and that will determine your allowable depth. Ah, now I understand your question...You will not want to go beyond the current wall in the living room, as you run up against that window. So, you will use your space (depth) of the bookcases on the current dining room side. The room is already naturally divided by the opening, so you simply follow suit with what is and back-in the bookcase depth on what is now the dining room side.
February 28, 2013 at 8:58pm   
llbn5
Capisce! Thanks again for sharing your vision.
March 1, 2013 at 5:48am   
PRO
karen paul interiors
Eccellente! :)
March 1, 2013 at 7:15am   
llbn5
Here's an update now that room has been repainted, chair rail & former dining rm light fixture with its golden ceiling medallion removed. Walnut bookcases built in & are not as dark as photos appear. Once they're loaded up with well placed books et al, thankfully that will lighten up that space. Lighting ideas? Sadly, north facing bay window area has no central lighting. Furniture - warm leather and/or cream upholstered chairs & ottomans? Would loveseat be too much on 95" wall opposite bookcase? We can always move spinet desk elsewhere.
July 12, 2013 at 8:07am   
apple_pie_order
Try an online space planner such as http://thebrick.icovia.com/icovia.aspx for furniture. The library is shaping up nicely. You might find a chaise lounge or fainting couch would be useful and pretty in the bay window. A desk facing outwards to a nice view would work, too. Floor lamps may work there for reading.
July 12, 2013 at 8:27am   
collettec
Great looking new bookcases! I would consider a combination of built in overhead lighting, including lighting near the bookcases, to be able to better see the books and lamps for reading and more warmth. For the arrangements, perhaps one possibility might be something like a loveseat and two chairs facing each other parallel to the windows, near the bookcases. I think apple pie order's idea of working to space plan to set up the room is a good one. As for materials and color, perhaps more mid range in shade, no matter what the color, rather than dark or light might be something to consider. Not sure what you'd like to do with the area near the bay window. Perhaps a place for a desk or round table with chairs or two chairs with a table between. Have included a few pics - one with a combination of leather and fabric, which also might be an option. You might want to check library under houzz browse rooms for more ideas.
HOLLYWOOD HILLS HOME
Project Photos
July 12, 2013 at 9:20am   
PRO
Sherman & Gosweiler Inc.,
This sounds like a really interesting project! Assuming that you're planing to use "standard height" cabinets, (7' +/-), You can definitely get away with maintaining the painted crown. We've intalled built-in book cases in virtually every room of houses and there's nothing quite like the warmth of a bookcase filled with books!
July 16, 2013 at 10:52am   
More Discussions
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...
Need help in deciding whether to place hardwood over in floor heating
New addition in cottage on river. I want to create...
Keep the Floor or Replace?
I have a beautiful, 30-year-old, hand laid, UNFINISHED...
need help with my living room
I am repainting our house. Need some ideas on something...
Is it much too red?
I wanted red and pink to be the main color of our place. I...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.