powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living Room - What to do with wood paneling?
bpat2011
February 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I feel like this room has tons of potential. What are your thoughts? Thanks ahead of time!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nevadan
This room looks like a horse barn. I think it lacks potential because of the door placement and apparent lack of fenestration. Also too many ceiling beams - obviously some of them are non-bearing fakes. Might want to demolish and start over.
February 28, 2013 at 8:25AM   
PRO
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
The room has potential. i wolul ahve prefered it the wood went up to the ceiling, eliminating the triangular spaces at the 2 ends of the room. But you have ceiling height. I would remove the ceiling fan , then start by finging 3 fantastic large pendant ceiling lighting fixtures. paint hte ceiling a beautiful color such as a medium grayed green or golden golor such as benjamin moore hathaway gold or french horn. install a real slate floor and you are on your way to a great space.
February 28, 2013 at 9:54AM   
0825sam
I like it. Keep the beams paint everything else except the fireplace white/light neutral. New lights.

February 28, 2013 at 10:00AM     
Aja Mazin
Great room!
February 28, 2013 at 10:02AM     
0825sam
Sorry I realizes my suggestion did not work with the paneling - I think it's a bit too much in this space.
Ditto the slate floor
February 28, 2013 at 10:02AM   
lefty47
HI -- REMOVE ALL THE PANELING ! Keep the ceiling beams . A lot of the others are going to tell you to just paint the paneling , but it will be better to just remove it . Old paneling has a 40% higher fire risk and it will just soak up a lot of costly paint . Clean new walls will be so much better to work with and it's time for the room to change .
February 28, 2013 at 10:08AM   
onthefence
I agree with everyone to remove the paneling and sheetrock.

Leave the fireplace as is but paint the built in that flanks it in white. Depending on what color your furniture is, paint the walls a light neutral.

What's under the rug? With any luck you'll have hardwood that is salvageable!

Re: the ceiling - tough call. It probably needs to be repainted between the beams but doing so without painting the beams is a bear. Been there, done that. Unless the beams are really spectacular I'd probably paint them as well. It's a bit hard to tell from the photo. Are they still natural wood?
February 28, 2013 at 10:14AM   
onthefence
Oh -- and while you have the paneling off, determine any wiring needs you may have and do the wiring before closing the wall.
February 28, 2013 at 10:21AM   
PRO
JWinteriors
Can you open up a wall as you are taking down all the paneling? Change out door to a 15 pane glass door for maximum sunlight.
February 28, 2013 at 10:22AM   
bpat2011
We got LUCKY
June 7, 2013 at 1:15PM     
srieves
Paint the paneling with a Light colored Satan and as another commented, leave the beams as is for a contrast. It will give the room a soft glow with lots of texture. I painted a very dark room like this and it was beautiful, easy to live in and I never tired of the complements.
June 7, 2013 at 1:23PM   
lefty47
HI - Wow, wood floors ! Even better reason now to remove all that old paneling .You could re -stain the wood floor a darker tone along with the ceiling beams, then the room will look very up- to- date. This is becoming an awesome room.
June 7, 2013 at 1:25PM     
srieves
I forgot to add, paint the shelving and trim (IE baseboards etc..) white and go all the way up to the ceiling with your wall color. The separation is not a good thing.
June 7, 2013 at 1:27PM   
bpat2011
Thanks for the great comments! I'm a DIYer and I'm not afraid of the big tasks. Do you guys think it would look good if we stained the floors, beams and built in shelves/cabinets a darker shade of brown to update it? The paneling on the inside/between of the shelves can be removed, so we plan on doing that and texturing/painting the wall behind it. We are going to take out the fan and install new can lights all around the room. I attached a few more pics to give you guys a better view of the room. There's a wall that separates this living room from the main hallway in the house. We plan on knocking out this wall to open up the space. We would have to leave an exposed beam or two for structural reasons, but I think it would make the space seem less cramped. And finally, no more paneling. It's going to be gone for sure. We can texture/paint the wall behind it. What do you guys think of our game plan for now? We are definitely open to opinions and may change our plans if you have a brilliant idea!
June 8, 2013 at 8:40AM   
sstarr
@bpat2011: Parquet floors under the old carpeting? Unreal! Refinish the floors, hold the stain...
June 8, 2013 at 8:48AM