Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen cabinet & colors
vanessahh
February 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We're starting the process of updating our kitchen and would love advice on our kitchen cabinets and countertops. We have a log home with hardwood floors, and there's lots of wood everywhere. I'm leaning towards going with tan brown granite for the countertops, but don't want to make the room feel smaller. There is also a bunch of unused space in the cabinets below the bread box. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions for cabinet colors, countertops, and general layout advice!

The first picture is our kitchen. The second is a picture of the countertops we're considering.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Stoneshop
I think that Tan Brown granite would really compliment your home nicely! Your kitchen doesn't have much contrast, so adding some dark color will really liven up the space. I do not think that it will make your space feel smaller. It is an open area with a good amount of natural light, so I wouldn't worry about it.

For cabinetry, are you considering having new cabinets put in? Since you live in a log home, my first option would not be to paint your cabinets. I think that they fit in with that "rustic" mood, but I also understand if you want to tone down the wood.
February 28, 2013 at 9:34am   
vanessahh
Thank you for the feedback! I am considering new cabinets, but was hoping to save money and work with what we have. I do like that they keep it feeling rustic, but just don't want to overwhelm with the wood tones. Maybe the countertops will be enough contrast.
February 28, 2013 at 9:42am   
PRO
White Van Real Estate Services, Southern CA
We think that if you modernize the look of your cabinets that will help update the kitchen. Your choice in granite is lovely. We found a photo that incorporates a lighter color granite and updated cabinets that you might like. It is very close to your color scheme and you could probably create the same island look. Look at the lighting fixtures as well that help illuminate the kitchen and make it look not so dark with all that wood. Good luck!

February 28, 2013 at 9:43am   
Julie Dvorak
I like your cabinets and countertops as they are. I think if you pick the right appliances and unify them, it would look great. This might involve updating sink or faucet, too. Interesting that we are harder on our own places than others!
February 28, 2013 at 9:49am   
PRO
Room Resolutions
Love the granite you are going to be selecting! I agree that you should unify all of your appliances and when replacing your counter-tops it is the best time to also update and replace your sink and faucet. Look into the Blanco Silgranit sinks, they are awesome! The cabinet color shown in the second image looks very nice with the granite and you could obtain that look by either re-staining or with new cabinetry. The drawer pull hardware you have, from what I can tell in the photo, looks nice and I would recommend placing the pulls on all of your doors instead of the knobs. I also like the idea of having some glass fronts for your upper cabinets. That will bring an open feeling to your space that you want to have. It does look like you have a decent size kitchen and you will not be closing it in with these updates!
February 28, 2013 at 10:11am   
PRO
Don vonAhlefeld, Hayes Cabinets Inc.
I hate to be the only wet blanket but I think it is a big mistake to put new, expensive counters on old cabinets. Two years from now you are going to kick yourself for not going a little further and replacing the cabinets to. I think a simple contemporary look with plain flat simple doors and drawers goes well with so much wood. That look also is the least expensive way to go and you'll have nice crisp, clean, soft-close cabinetry. Once you put those new counters down you are stuck with those cabinets forever!
February 28, 2013 at 10:35am   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Have to agree with @Hayes. Replacing the cabinets will destroy the new tops if you try to go backwards. Five years down the road, the cabinets will be even more tired and out of date, new paint, stain or not. And your new counter tops will still be beautiful.
February 28, 2013 at 10:44am   
Darzy
If you are keeping the cabinets as is, I think your counter choice will work nicely and provide a nice contrast. I would recommend an undermount stainless sink, and a new faucet. New hardware on the cabinets would really change and update the look as well. I would make the island top square (no angled cut on the edge). If it's not in the budget for new appliances, how about painting the oven doors with black appliance paint?

February 28, 2013 at 10:49am   
julie77777
vanessahh - how old are the cabinets? I am going through a similar dilemma.
February 28, 2013 at 12:49pm   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.