Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help choosing leather color for sofa
caromck
February 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have been looking to purchase this sofa for a while (with the curved back and nailheads), but having a hard time choosing a leather color. Do you think the orangey-yellow "sunrise" color would work? I love using color - bright colors make me happy - though I don't want to have too much of a good thing. Attaching a photo of an antique hutch buffet the sofa will be in the room with. It also has a dark cherry stained rustic coffee table and entertainment console and another darker wood carved trunk - sort of middle eastern looking.

Of the attached photos, the color will come out somewhere between the picture of the two chairs or the picture of the chair and ottoman. Each dye batch varies a bit, so hard to predict.

Thanks in advance!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
I wouldgo with the color shown on the sofa NOT the gold color. However that being said your room needs a shot of color. Try brighter bolder rug, wall paint color,etc
February 28, 2013 at 10:08AM     
caromck
Yes, originally I wanted the color shown on the sofa, but it has been discontinued and there's not a replacement in quite the same color. The other browns are much darker - not what I'm going for.
February 28, 2013 at 12:06PM   
PRO
Alcove Decor and Furniture
What do you think about these sofas.
February 28, 2013 at 12:47PM   
PRO
and this one?
February 28, 2013 at 12:48PM   
PRO
Sorry, its not uploading this picture
February 28, 2013 at 12:49PM   
Manon Floreat
You can make either color work as long as you take into the consideration the other elements of the room, ie: area rug, accessories, etc. Here are a couple of photos featuring sofas in the mustard color family to give you some ideas of color composition.

hancock and moore Francoise_Artist_Hunter_HR_DP.jpg

Living Room

Living room
February 28, 2013 at 1:00PM     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
If you love colour - that's fabulous - but don't get it in such an investment piece - bring colour in with accessorizing or a smaller occasional chair - artwork, lamps, etc. Then you can change it up as you need. Stick with a gorgeous warm tone pulled from your area rug - that will help ground the space, and make sense of your choices in the area rug and other leather chairs -

would have been better if the side chairs were upholstery - too much leather isn't always a good thing - so you'll need to bring in great fabric cushions and draperies to off set all the leather.

PS. You don't always have to go traditional with your furnishings for a rustic look - sometimes it is even more gratifying to bring in a modern element in a more rustic setting to create delicious tension. Good Luck with your project, some photos of rustic interiors and one Boho Chic with lots of colour to inspire you!
February 28, 2013 at 1:14PM   
PRO
ASVInteriors
I call that second colour a cognac leather and love it. It is light enough to work with dark grey, cream, beige, white - so I find it more versatile. Have fun!
February 28, 2013 at 1:18PM   
caromck
@ alcove - those sofas are fun, but not quite the look I'm going for. This sofa is going in my family room, so I like having the curves and nailheads, but the carved wood looks a bit too formal for my space. Thanks for posting the pictures though!

Thanks others for your advice. I will mull over this a bit further.

Just to clarify - the only piece I own from the pictures I posted is the buffet hutch. The other chairs/ottoman are just to show the leather color I'm considering.
February 28, 2013 at 1:20PM   
Kari Palomo
I'm not a designer, but I really like that color!
February 28, 2013 at 1:54PM   
Jayme H.
I would go with the first one..it has more staying power.
February 28, 2013 at 2:43PM     
PRO
Susan Mills Design
I really like the lines of your sofa, very transitional, can go in so many directions with this one.

Your leather will darken over time. Do you know how it is dyed? If aniline died it is a transparent dye that allows the natural grain of the leather to show through, semi-aniline has a top cot as well which protects it. Depending on your family you may want to know this first. Natural oils can also change the colour, from your body or hair. Get a such info as possible when purchasing leather so you will be knowledgable about how to care for it.

Beautiful sofa though, have fun with your room.
February 28, 2013 at 4:08PM   
caromck
Thanks! I'm going to gradually go in more of a Mediterranean/Spanish revival direction, but still with rustic pieces mixed in. It's a full aniline hide. If it goes a little darker, that would be good. If it went lighter, I'm not so sure!
February 28, 2013 at 4:12PM   
Laura Christoffersen
I love, love, love the yellow sofa idea. I think it will work fine. Once you put a couple pillows on it perhaps in a darker color or pattern, plus blanket or something, it will work perfect!
February 28, 2013 at 4:15PM   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Ok if full aniline dyed it does not have protection. Keep it out of the sun, or it will lighten, otherwise it will darken with time and use. Show us pictures of the finished room, sounds nice!
February 28, 2013 at 5:36PM   
Aja Mazin
The Lakota by Hancock and Moore is available in the original colour is available at many outlets
February 28, 2013 at 5:37PM   
February 28, 2013 at 5:45PM   
Aja Mazin
"Full" aniline dyed leather can be protected.
Depending on the manufacturer it .may or may or may not be protected.

Hancock and Moore make both so check the specs.
February 28, 2013 at 5:57PM   
caromck
This particular leather is unprotected. I am not sure who still has it in the original color in inventory.
February 28, 2013 at 8:02PM   
PRO
karen paul interiors
Well, since you can't get the leather as shown on the sofa, then I would choose the second pix with the chair and ottoman. Just curious. You said there were other leathers available and they were darker...too dark for what you would enjoy. I'm really curious to see them.
February 28, 2013 at 8:12PM   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I think the sofa you selected with the nail head trim goes well with the Mediterranean/Spanish revival scheme you are going for. The mid tone leather color will stand the test of time. Dark brown and black leather sofas in this style would look really heavy if your color preference is on the bright side. Golds, russet and red colored walls and fabrics will work beautifully with either leather shade. I agree with Marle that upholstered chairs would be a great compliment to the leather sofa. A nubby linen, velvet or dhurrie pattern would work well with leather. Mixing the materials will help you to achieve a nice eclectic room.
February 28, 2013 at 8:34PM