Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help me finish my guestroom
Debbie
March 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I repainted my guestroom several months ago and haven't been able to finish it. I originally painted the ceiling and walls a dark gold and it was like a cave. The teal pillows and throw were the inspiration to paint the walls SW Sea Salt. I love the wall color. The star of the room is my grandmother's 1950's serpentine dresser. The mirror didn't seem to be original to the dresser, so I thought I would find something else. I found this art deco mirror on Craig's List, thinking the shape would compliment the dresser, but now I don't like it. I tried a round gold mirror, but it seemed too modern for the dresser. It's now hanging in the entryway. Should I just replace the foggy mirror in the original and mount it? I don’t have anywhere else to put it. I included a pic of the original mirror over the dresser. I've had the brass lamps for years and can't part with them. I found some silk shades for the lamps which seems to have updated them some. Are they working or are they just too out of date? I don’t like the comforter and plan to replace it with a pintuck duvet from West Elm. I have two of the little mirrors above the lamp. I hung one to see what it looked like. Should I use them? I know I need a headboard. I bought fabric to make a tufted headboard, but I picked it out when the bed was against the wall with the big mirror on it. It’s the same solid color as the drapes. I either need to go with a different color or a print on the headboard or drapes, right? I hate to waste the headboard fabric. Please help me finish this room. I just found out family is coming to stay with us for a few weeks this summer.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mpoulsom
What if you painted the larger mirror frame and hung it on the wall above dresser....maybe the teal color? or bring in the green color in your accent pillow. If you got 2 vertical rectangular mirrors to hang on the wall behind the lamps that would be better than the circular ones. Since your side tables are round it seems too repetative.
How about something neutral but darker for your headboard fabric...like a tan linen or something.
March 10, 2013 at 5:09pm     
brody1313
Love the wall color...so like my own....and it looks so wonderful w/white bedding......Your bedding and curtains look nice.....I think you would get more bang for your buck if you kept those and instead invested in a matching pair of fat round white ceramic lamps (check Pottery Barn) for each side of the bed. to balance it....I would move the round table a little closer to the bed...( also remove the peacock feathers, and round wreath).......hang, or prop the rectangle mirror back over the chest.......not sure how to repair your wonderful chest, but at the very least try a furniture pen from Lowes or Home Depot to fill in....good luck
March 10, 2013 at 5:24pm     
Jayme H.
That antique mirror is too small, but save it for another area, I agree the lamps don't work..if u do a headboard, the window is a consideration and I would experiment to make sure it looked right there. I love a lot of what u have done...I would either use the larger mirror and wait and see how it looked and/or use it and paint it a lighter color. I am "so NOT" a curtain expert, by any means..but your rod looks too skimpy. And it may not be high enough.
March 10, 2013 at 5:31pm     
Nancy Hehmann
I love the teal. I think your room would look more romantic with sheers or a roman shade rather than the blinds. It would really be great it some of the teal could be in the roman shade.
March 10, 2013 at 5:37pm     
hairguy
Larger mirror and get chunkier lamps, maybe glass.
March 10, 2013 at 5:51pm   
Debbie
I was afraid my lamps weren't going to go over well. I should have spent the money on another lamp instead of the shades. I bought this lamp when I first started redoing the room. Better? I only got one as the bed was on the other wall at the time and there wasn't enough room for a table on each side. The window wall is the only place the bed looks balanced. I had the dresser professionally restored, so no worries there. I'd like to raise the curtain rod, but I have 8 foot ceilings so I went with 84" drapes. I was hoping the rings would add a little length. Thank you for your comments. Keep it up. I can take the beatings! :)
March 10, 2013 at 5:54pm     
pt_fci
teal brings life into your room. i love the color.my suggestion is, change the color or your curtain into teal or fabric with some teal tone or pattern, and leave the blind as it is. or if u only have limited time to do it u can use any teal ribbon and sew it to your curtain horizontally. my idea is u need to add some more bold color to make ur room brigther.

about the side table, u can change the color into orange, so it will give a vibrant atmosphere rather than an old look.

replace the small mirror with something bigger, so it will decorate the wall, u can make a fabric and frame it as a wall decor.

i attach some pics that might help u find something
March 10, 2013 at 5:55pm     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I love your room and what you are doing in it. It is filled with love and cherished items. How can we designers do anything but admire the history and character of the room.

The original mirror over the serpentine dresser is too small by modern standards. But I'd leave it as it is. Your brass lamps are dated and not what I would put in a modern bedroom, but because you love them, they belong there. The drapery rod is just fine, and I marvel at how you are keeping the pillows from crushing the draperies since there is no headboard. Find a headboard if you can to match the wood of the dresser. Please remove the vase from the floor to right of bed. It does not belong in this room from yesteryear.

I rather like your little mirror, of which I understand you have two, and would place one directly behind each lamp to amplify the light when the lamps are on.
March 10, 2013 at 6:05pm     
janishill
Paint the large mirror frame teal then go over it with dark wax to slightly change and intesify the color.

Lengthen your drapery panels by adding a stripe of teal (preferably a print) to the bottom then adding another, wider stripe of the left over fabric added to the bottom. You could also add a stripe to the top.

Hang them high and wide to make the window appear larger and to let in as much light as possible.
March 10, 2013 at 6:08pm     
mpoulsom
I like the last picture with the other lamp better. sorry, i know you love the brass, but it looks like it fits the space better to me.
March 10, 2013 at 6:45pm     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
the only suggestion I have is to go bigger with your accessories on the wall - not so many, bigger is better - less is more -
March 10, 2013 at 6:47pm   
visualizemaven
Need to unify all the incongruent elements with color. You mentioned white comforter from west elm so go with that esthetic. White and teal, no cream. Use white gauzy sheers along ENTIRE window wAll. Cornet to cornerThe window and panels look skimpy and disconcerting behind the bed. Spray paint brass lamps high gloss white. Get larger shades with a teAl and white
Geometric or other pattern. Consider spray painting 2 round side tables teal. Ditch small round mirror etc. leave bureau and large mirror As is; place large teal vase on bureau with white cherry blossom spray. Will be a Trendy refuge for u and ur guests to enjoy!
March 10, 2013 at 6:57pm     
Debbie
I like the gourd lamp look better, too. I was hoping I could use what I had, but it's not fitting in with the look I want. Carolyn, I appreciate you recognizing I'm trying to decorate around the period of the dresser. And, Janis, thank you for the tip on the draperies. I'll either replace them or add a stripe at the bottom. I really want these draperies from Ballard Designs, but it's just not in the budget right now.
March 10, 2013 at 6:57pm     
Debbie
Wow, Marie. I have that same mirror you have on the left in a wish list somewhere. I can't remember what site it's on.
March 10, 2013 at 7:08pm   
Keitha
The refinished dresser turned out great! It would be nice if your drapes were a little higher but I think they are fine. Teal drapes would be too bold and I don't think you would want them as your focal point. Your existing drapes would look nice if you embellished them with a trim to bring out the teal. Maybe look for one additional teal lamp to go on one end of your dresser, it would compliment your cute birds! I have included a photo to give you the idea of trimming out your drapes...
March 10, 2013 at 7:18pm     
janishill
Your grandmothers dresser turned out beautiful. Whomever did the repairs did an excellent job.

Just a few more tweaks and the room will be perfect.

It looks like the bass of your lamps is round. The new shades seem to be 6 sided. I wonder if you could return them and purchase drum shades?

Did you make the lumbar pillow? Do you have more printed fabric? You could sew a band of it down the edge of the drapery panels to add a little more interest.

I just thougth of something. Have you ever heard of gold leaf? You could use it on the mirror frame. The kind you paint on is very inexpensive: http://www.jewelrysupply.com/product.asp?itemid=11794&gclid=CIqVsO3K87UCFQSg4AodyRYAnQ
It would tie the lamps adn the mirror together.

Hang your other small mirror on the other side. Hang them both at the same height. The one that is hanging now would look better if you brought it down about 2 1/2 inches.

I hope you will post updated pictures when you are finished. :-)
March 10, 2013 at 7:25pm     
captterson411
I agree with previous comments, I love the bedding colors and the dresser. I am not a professional decorator but I like the bed without a headboard. The window acts as a headboard although you cannot lean against it.
My suggestions: Guests need a light next to the bed so they do not nock into furniture from an unfamiliar room. I would paint the two bedside lamps white or get new.
Guests also need a chair to sit on while dressing or a place to put luggage so I would take away one of the tables and replace it with a chair. I would remove the one in the corner as it does not add to the period of the room.
I would hang the original mirror over the dresser but possibly hang it on its side. Another option buy two white square or oval mirrors to hang on each side of the dresser . You could possibly paint a teal square connecting the two mirrors. Guests need a mirror in their room as the bathroom mirror may be occupied. If this doesn't work, I would hang a mirror on the back of the room door. This may not look good but it is serviceable.
I would remove the lamp on the dresser and replace it with a bowl or container of some sort as guests need a place to keep pocket change etc. Add a white doily under the birds on the dresser especially if you use white mirrors.
I love the alarm clock you are using (guests need this as well if they do not have a cell phone). I try to keep in mind the comfort of my guest's as this is the purpose of the room. Although this is an earlier period of decorating I would think about an easily accessible wall outlet for phone chargers and laptop computers. I agree remove the wreath and floor vase, less is more.

I too am preparing a guest room, for my grown children and my aging parents so the room has to be comfortable for all ages. Good luck and have fun but most of all enjoy your guest's.
March 10, 2013 at 7:58pm   
captterson411
I thought of something else... I agree with the curtain placement and adding teal fabric for extra color. at a minimum use teal tie backs. Bed Bath and Beyond has awesome curtain rods with crystal ends that would go perfect in this room. They are also a little more heavy duty than the one you have. I would search for artwork in this time period with similar colors. You are doing a great job and I too would love to see the end result. Thank you for sharing.
March 10, 2013 at 8:13pm   
Debbie
I like the idea of a shade instead of the blinds, but this room is in the front of the house and the rest of the windows have blinds on them as well. So, would sheers soften the blinds? Also, is it dated to have sheers and curtains? I love my grandmother's dresser, but I don't want this room to look like hers. :-)
Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions!
March 18, 2013 at 3:15pm   
decoenthusiaste
May I ask if the bed is facing the door in this position? Sounder, more secure sleep is achieved when one can open their eyes and see the door. I think this is especially important in a guest room where sleepers are not in their normal quarters.
March 18, 2013 at 3:44pm     
Debbie
Yes, the bed is facing the door.
March 18, 2013 at 3:45pm   
Debbie
UPDATE - I sold the brass lamps on Craigslist and used the money to purchase a second gourd lamp. Come to find out, the brass lamps were made by Stippell. Oh, well. I wasn't going to use them and I don't have room to store them. I ordered a new bevelled mirror for the antique wood frame. The existing mirror is foggy and ghostly. I stripped the frame and will refinish to match the dresser. I love janishill's suggestion of the gold leaf. There's a little beaded trim in the frame that looks like it used to be gold, so I'm going to gold leaf that part. So, I have a question. What do you think of this art to go on either side of the bed? They are 42"Hx19"W. They are a little expensive, so I'd like opinions before I order them.
April 14, 2013 at 10:24am     
Genevieve
Keep the window free by placing the bed on the wall where you have the mirror on the floor ,refinish the chest of drawers by painting it black or dark espresso. The bedding looks good and so are those two pictures that Debbie posted .

Be creative and make a headboard
http://www.ehow.com/how_4912209_make-tufted-headboards.html
April 14, 2013 at 10:30am     
Debbie
I had the bed where the mirror is, but there's not enough room for a nightstand on both sides because of the door. I have already purchased fabric and foam to make a tufted headboard. It's on my list. Thanks!
April 14, 2013 at 10:36am     
janishill
They are lovely, but they do have an Asian flare though nothing else in the room does. The choice is yours to make. :-)
April 14, 2013 at 11:40am   
Debbie
I guess they do sort of have an Asian flare after looking at them again. OK, I'll keep looking...
April 14, 2013 at 12:35pm   
Debbie
Would any of these drapes work in my guestroom or is the pattern too much? Or would it be too much blue with blue drapes and blue walls? I have such a difficult time visualizing what something will look like until I get it in the room. The last one has a faint blue stripe. Your feedback is so appreciated.
April 26, 2013 at 8:11am   
janishill
It is difficult for me to invision the drapes and the pillows together, but i think any of the drapes would work.

Perhaps the company will send you fabric samples. That way you can look at them against the walls and have a better idea of whihc would work best. :-)
April 26, 2013 at 2:56pm   
Debbie
I just noticed I can order swatches from Pottery Barn, which is where these are from. Their drapes are currently on sale, but only until Monday. I may order a pair and return them if they don't work.
April 26, 2013 at 3:07pm   
PRO
Stamps Design Services
Here are some other bedrooms where the bed has been placed in front of the window... I think you have made some very good choices in what you have done so far :-)
April 26, 2013 at 3:16pm     
Debbie
Thank you, Stamps Design. These pictures are really helpful. I like how the decor is very simple.

What do you think about this fabric for drapes? I'm thinking about making them myself. I ordered a fabric swatch and it came in today. The dark teal matches the pillows and the lighter teal goes with the wall color. The headboard fabric I bought is almost the same color as the current drapes and comforter.
April 26, 2013 at 5:28pm     
janishill
Use your fabric! It will bring the entire room together. Can hardly wait to see the finished look!
April 26, 2013 at 6:59pm     
Debbie
OK, I'm going to order this fabric. I'm excited! I think I found the right drapery fabric. And, I can make them for half of what it would cost to buy them ready made.
April 26, 2013 at 8:21pm     
Ann
I like the large wood framed mirror over the dresser best. The other options are just too small. I like the new white lamp in the picture above. I like the new curtain fabric very much. I'd remove the floor vase with feathers. I might move one of the brass lamps to the dresser because the one on the dresser looks a little small, even when on a book. I'd also remove the small round mirror and round wreath. It's a nice room!
April 26, 2013 at 8:39pm     
Ann
Oh sorry - I see you've already sold the brass lamps and decided on the large mirror with new glass.
April 26, 2013 at 8:42pm   
Debbie
You are all the best! Thank you so much for your help. I will post pics when it's one. I take each and everyone's input into consideration. I read your advice over and over and over and....
April 26, 2013 at 9:30pm   
PRO
Stamps Design Services
I love the fabric! Your room is looking better everytime I see it, but the patten is sure to give it that something special. I have to wonder what it would look like if you used the ivory drapes and used the fabric for a roman shade? (just a thought) :-)
April 26, 2013 at 9:55pm     
PRO
Angelina Vick
Hi Debbie, love the choices you have made so far. =) The turquoise/white/cream combination has a very clean look.

I'm not sure if you are at this stage yet but I thought I would offer a few choices for art in your room.
April 26, 2013 at 10:09pm     
janishill
I really like

Stamps Design Services idea of keeping the drapes you have and making a Roman shade from the fabric.
April 27, 2013 at 10:27am   
nasmijati
Here is a different approach to designing a guest room:
Guest room necessities and luxuries

At least one table beside the bed with a lamp for reading,alarm clock, water carafe and glass. I know these are accessories but guests really appreciate these items. If you can put a luggage butler in the room, it folds so does not take up a lot of room when there are not guests. I think one dresser is enough for guests. I presume that there is a closet as well. I also have a folder of information on the area and recommendations of places to eat,shop,sight see. The guest room is also a place to hang collections of pictures or unique items.

Add a great mattress, lush bed and bath linens, room darkening window covering, as well as bath salts, oils, bubbles, lotions and creams, natural , room scent spray or diffuser, extra toilet paper and Kleenex in fabric covers, a luxurious robe and some hotel type slippers,a very good mirror ofor makeup and one full size for dressing, towel warmer is nice, clippies and scrunchies, hair dryer, really nice soap, a toothbrush and razor in case, guest sized toiletries including aspirin, etc, some books and magazines, either ipod and player or cd's and player or radio, alarm clock, cell phone charger, a plate of fruit and chocolate with a fruit knife, napkin, bottled water and a pretty glass, flowers, an eye mask for napping, a flashlight, yes..photos of you with your guest, some notecards, stamps, and a nice pen, side tables, good reading lamp and other lighting, a comfortable reading chair, hopefully you have wifi which extends into the room. I suggest you stay there for 2 or 3 nights and see if there is anything you are missing..... you may want to stay! hope this helps! :)

I've added a bench at the foot of the bed and it's used a LOT for luggage. I also have a tray for bottled water and drinking glasses and a place to put their watch/rings on a small dresser. We also have a flat screen tv with a note in the side table drawer with directions on how to operate the remote(s). The biggest favorite of our guests is we have a "revolving" picture frame on the side table. I will put in a picture of the guests, or of their pet. Everyone always get a get out of this.
//
I would put very nice hangers in the closet. Padded ones for blouses, wooden ones shaped for jackets and shirts for men, ones with clips for skirts, and ones to hang trousers on.

Extra pillows are appreciated. A soft one, a firm one, a small one (for between the knees when side sleeping), maybe a neck roll pillow also.

Lotion, facial tissue, a pair of nail clippers, and a couple of BandAids could be placed in the top drawer of the dresser or chest of drawers.

If you know the interests/hobbies of your guest, put any books you own on the subject on the bookcase in the guest room. You could also borrow a few books and magazines from your public library to put in there.

A small fan is also appreciated as much for air movement as for masking noises in the home (the furnace turning on, refrigerator, hot water heater, voices in another room, and so on).
//
Something that will make them happy when they need some time alone, like magazines, a current newspaper, maybe one of those eye masks to soothe their tired eyes?
April 27, 2013 at 3:19pm     
Nancy Travisinteriors
I like the bigger one for sure. The Art Deco one could work on wall behind table with lamp. The mirror there is too small for wall.
April 27, 2013 at 3:28pm   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Move table closer to bed. Don't like seeing cord.
April 27, 2013 at 3:29pm   
Hobo Jane
Wow! I never thought of a lot of those great ideas. My only fear is that the guests might never leave.....
April 27, 2013 at 3:34pm     
Debbie
Eztia, I can be at your house by dinner! I did find a bowl to put on the dresser for my guest's jewelry, pocket change, etc. It's a little big, but I love the colors in it.

Stamps Design Services and janishill, I love the idea of a Roman shade. It would look better than the wood blinds. However, this window faces the street and the blinds allow me to let in natural light during the day without giving up privacy. A Roman shade would end up staying down all the time.

The second lamp I ordered finally came in and it's a little darker than the first. :( Would you notice if I didn't tell you? I found these prints for cheap at Homegoods to replace the feather wreath. My daughter was not happy about taking the wreath down, so she hung it on a nail that happened to still be in the wall on the other side of the bed. I'll leave it...for now. I shopped around for larger mirrors to go behind the lamps and good grief nice mirrors are expensive! I think I'm going to go for the minimalist look!
April 27, 2013 at 3:46pm     
janishill
Nope, I wouldn't have noticed. :-)

The new pictures will work behind the lamps.

Oh...I thought you had two of the small round mirrors.

I'm going to add a little more to Eztia great list: a walking tour book, a small basket or container with gum and breath mints, a can of mixed nuts and 2 or 3 of those 100 calorie snacks packs, an alarm clock, wicker basket in the closet for dirty clothes (if the guest is staying a few days) , femine hygiene products (dresser drawer or bathroom closet), a piece of paper with the wireless router name/password written on it, and a surge protector plug. Also provide basic directions to the closest drug store, coffee shop and grocery store. Type this out once, slip it into a plastic sleeve and leave it along with other provisions in the upper left hand drawer.

Fresh flowers on the dresser is the nicest way to say welcome. ;-)
April 27, 2013 at 5:02pm     
Debbie
Do you think the new pictures are big enough to work behind the lamps? I thought about it, but they seemed too small. Would I hang them so that the bottom of the frame is above the lamp shade? I do have two of the small mirrors. I stuck them in the closet for now. They seemed too small, too. I'm not sure what to do with them.

You have to realize these are in-laws coming to visit. I don't want them to get too comfortable! :-)

I'd like to be a guest as janishill's house right after I stay with Eztia!
April 27, 2013 at 5:14pm   
defever
I've been silently following the thread. Your room looks great; I wouldn't have known the 2nd lamp was a different color. Can't wait to see your new drapes; the fabric will pull the room together beautifully. I like the pictures where they are and don't see a need for the mirrors behind the lamps.
April 27, 2013 at 6:14pm     
PRO
Stamps Design Services
Debbie too much symmetry can be too much of a good thing, I like the two pictures next to the door and the wreath over one of the lamps. How about moving the clock to dresser and putting a couple of books and one of the ceramic birds on the night stands? Just a thought, some craft stores carry dye in an aerosol spray form, taping off sections with painters tape you could add a (stripe) band or two of turquoise to the lamp shades. I am looking forward to seeing the draperies you make!
April 27, 2013 at 6:51pm     
janishill
Debbie...how about pictures from this side, that side and the other side just so we can have the latest update in mind before we give any more advie. :-)
April 27, 2013 at 7:11pm   
Debbie
Stamps Design Services, I really like your idea of adding the bands around the lamp shades.

janishill, I added the second lamp and a bowl on the dresser. Is the bowl too big? I borrowed some candlesticks from the entry table and moved the ceramic birds to the nightstand. I plan to replace the lamp on the dresser. I found a sweet deal on some nightstands on Joss & Main and they should be delivered by the end of the week.

Still to do:
1. Paint the closet doors. There were two small doors to the closet. The closet spans almost that entire wall, so hubby replaced the two small hinged doors with the big bi-fold door for easier access.
2. Make the headboard. I'm drawing out the plans today so hubby can cut the board.
3. Make the drapes.
4. Finish the large mirror to hang above the dresser. I hope I can hang it. It is so heavy I may have to mount it on the dresser the way it was before.
5. Find some art for the big, blank wall to the right of the bed, maybe?
6. Other great things you advise.
April 28, 2013 at 9:38am   
Debbie
I found this picture I took shortly after we moved in. The previous owner had installed a cheap plastic chair rail then wallpapered the lower wall to cover up termite damage. We removed the wallpaper, chair rail and popcorn cealing. Hubby patched the hole and retextured the ceiling. Then I painted the walls and ceiling this lovely gold color. Yuck! My daughter and her friends called it the orange room.
April 28, 2013 at 10:24am   
PRO
JWinteriors
Heres a neat multi functional room layout
April 28, 2013 at 10:30am     
PRO
Stamps Design Services
Debbie, Orange room? Too funny! I don't know why I didn't thing of using ribbon instead of the spray dye.... you can buy it in different widths and glue it to the shades (instead of the spray).You could even use two different widths for different sized stripes. You are making a headboard? Good for you, I look forward to your seeing your progress.
April 28, 2013 at 2:44pm     
Debbie
Stamps Design Services, when you suggested bands around the shades, I immediately thought of ribbon. Great minds think alike!
April 28, 2013 at 3:29pm     
janishill
Debbie...my personal opinion is the birds work much better where they were; on the dresser!. There just isn't enough room on the night stand to place a book - much less a book and a bottle of water - with the birds there.

I don't care for the candle sticks either. They would have looked great with the brass lamps you sold. :-)

You might want to try the lamp without the shade (paint the cord with a little left over wall paint to make it disappear.)

The bowl is lovely, but it appears to be only for decoration and is too large to be used for a change holder. Try something more the size of a finger bowl. Perhaps you have a small bowl hiding in a cabinet or you might try Pier One.

If you have a picture frame you can order posters (prints) from All Posters.com @ http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?aid=99623043&startat=%2Fland%2FSEM%2Fus%2Fposters%5F03&DestType=2
or from Art.com @ http://www.art.com/

Or if you have time you may want to make cheap wall art using paint chips: http://hopestudios.blogspot.com/2010/07/paint-chip-mosaic-tutorial-tuesday.html (see picture)

Or try toilet paper roll art: http://suzyssitcom.com/2012/08/faux-metal-wall-art-including-free-patterns.html (see picture)

or http://tibblefork.blogspot.com/2011/06/toilet-paper-roll-wall-art.html (see picture)

I like the picture above with the desk at the foot of the bed and the vivid orange drapes! I don't think it would work in your room necessarily, but I do like it.

One thing I noticed on the bedside table is the fragrance oil. It is best not to have any type of air freshner in the room. You never know if someoen is sensitive to a certain fragrance.
April 28, 2013 at 4:08pm   
Debbie
Thank you, janishill! The bowl felt too big, but it's so pretty and it was on sale! I need to go with my gut instead of trying to make things work. At least I can still take it back. I got it at Pier 1, so I'll return it and look for something else. I keep a leaf shaped dish on my husband's chest of drawers that's about 12" long and 8" wide. It's perfect for his pocket change, wallet, etc. I'll look for something like that. I love the picture JWinteriors posted. My mother came over this afternoon to help me measure for the drapes and we were trying to count the rings on the drapes in that picture.

I wish there was room to put a bench or something at the foot of the bed, but there's only 30" between the bed and the dresser. I may have room for a small stool on the blank wall side. I was thinking something like this?

Love the toilet paper roll art! Thanks for the links!
April 28, 2013 at 5:05pm     
PRO
Hummingbird Designs
Here is an idea for the window ( Headboard)
April 28, 2013 at 5:39pm     
janishill
Two garden stools and one large toilet paper art piece above them.
April 28, 2013 at 6:12pm     
Lynne Forrestal
Did you try the old mirror on the left above the dresser with the two round ones on the right one above the other? making it a grouping of mirrors over the dresser? Or did you finalize on the larger one?
Be sure to check and see if you like the pattern on the drapery fabric when it is draped vs. flat... the pattern will disappear or at least change when it hangs in folds... I'd hate you to do all that work and not like them... I love the fabric and what you've done so far.
April 28, 2013 at 6:43pm   
Debbie
Sorry, janisahill, I meant "love the toilet paper roll art!" LOL! That just sounds SO funny! "Toilet paper roll art"

I cancelled the order for the new mirror. I did some research and replacing the glass would take away from the value of the antique mirror. The fogginess is not too bad, so I'm going to use it as is.

Lynne Forrestal, I'm going to try to make the pleats much smaller in the new drapes so the pattern will show through. It was definately a consideration. I consulted with an expert (my mother). She rocks when it comes to anything about draperies, sewing, etc.
April 28, 2013 at 7:42pm   
Lynne Forrestal
Great, glad you had thought of the pattern in drapes, I've seen people have the wonderful pattern disappear into just a mish mash of colors when hanging :), The foggy mirror adds to the character of the piece...
April 28, 2013 at 7:50pm     
Debbie
I got a little emotional after my mother came over today. It's funny how she has gotten smarter the older I have gotten. My dad has Alzheimer’s and she is taking care of him. My mother is the pillar of strength. I just want to say Happy Mother’s Day to her and all of the other mothers out there.
April 28, 2013 at 8:43pm     
PRO
Photo Captures by Jeffery
Debbie sorry to read about your dad and I am sure it is hard on your mom to see how Alzheimers is affecting him.
April 28, 2013 at 8:47pm   
PRO
Angelina Vick
Happy mother's day to you! =)

I'm sorry your dad is sick, but I am glad you have a mother that can show strength like that.

I didn't see any response to the art ideas I posted earlier, I am going to offer a few more options. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/ocean-3-angelina-vick.html http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/ship-1-angelina-vick.html http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/ship-1-with-quote-angelina-vick.html
April 28, 2013 at 11:20pm     
Debbie
Angelina Vick, I love the artwork. The first ones you posted seem too modern for my room. These last ones are gorgeous, but I think I need something with more colors. Once I get the drapes up I will have lots of teal.
April 29, 2013 at 7:25am     
PRO
Photo Captures by Jeffery
Debbie When you are ready you can come over for a visit and see if anything will catch your eye for the guestroom or any room in your home http://www.PhotoCapturesbyJeffery.com

I also have some Ideabooks here that I have created that will give you an idea of how my photo captures will look when they are framed.
April 29, 2013 at 8:23am   
janishill
Angelina Vick I love, love, love the ocean print. I had thought to purcahse it for my bedroom when my husband remined me we had just purchased and hung something in the space!

Debbie...another large mirror might work, an assortment of plates, or a gallery wall with family photos. (see pictures) or metal art.
April 29, 2013 at 9:24am     
PRO
Sara Palacios Designs and Custom Furniture
Love the teal color. When in doubt go big. The curtain is to small, taller; add texture to them. The pictures are to small go bigger or add more. I would add more pillows to the bed.
April 29, 2013 at 9:35am   
PRO
Angelina Vick
Thank you very much Debbie! I see, thanks for that feedback, I didn't know you thought they were too modern for your space. There is one that is blue and one that is an aged sepia look as well. =)

Awwww...Thank you so much Janis! =)
April 29, 2013 at 10:20am   
joannpb
Teal shears behind the drapes; Take the mirror out of the large frame, replace it with a piece of plywood, lightly padded and covered with whatever fabric you choose for your headboard, hang it over the dresser and hang the small mirror in it against the padded back.
April 29, 2013 at 11:00am   
Debbie
What do you think of this vase for fresh flowers? Is it too big?
April 29, 2013 at 5:32pm     
Lynne Forrestal
Debbie, the flowers will be about 2/3 or so higher than the vase is now, so what do you think? I am wondering if
1, you moved the mirror off center, toward the lamp, so that the lamp layers in front of the mirror some, then the tall flowers would fill in that space on the right. and did you think of trying an arrangement of three mirrors over the dresser, with the large one on the left and the two others you have one above the other on the left?.. just a thought to try. and perhaps lower the mirror just a tad, ( do you know how to measure a tad LOL)...
so that it better connects visually with the dresser.?
April 29, 2013 at 5:40pm   
PRO
Julianne Jeffries, Interior Design
I definately think the teal is gorgeous but the room is not coming together...yet! What about painting the lamps an unexpected color...such as bright yellow, tangerine or royal purple or blue, then decorating the shades you bought with the teal and whatever accent color you pick? You can use ribbon, glue some textured pieces like shells or other funky collection on the shade (painted in the color theme) or even buy/make a fun stencil and paint your lamp shade....simple and easy updates. I don't think I would keep so many mirrors in the room....pick one of the group and use those. I think your night tables are too small. Try getting some inexpensive bistro table or small round dining tables, paint them and fill them with great books, flowers, a guest book and a lovely guest basket with little creature comforts (fancy guest soaps, creams, toothpaste, extra toothbrush, all wrapped up in gorgeous victorian lace. I think a big problem in the room is scale. You need some bigger, bolder pieces to bring it together. You don't have to have a mirror over the dresser...how about an old window w/o the glass and fill each section with different wildflowers? That will create a different perspective on the window since you will lose a portion of the real window with the headboard. The headboard fabric can also be painted if you want. But, you need to get away from the creams in the room.

Do you have a gorgeous chandelier in there? Find a romantic copy or secondhand one...you can paint that, too, if need be! Another idea is a victorian era coat rack...guests can use it to hang their towels, especially if they are sharing a family bathroom.

Oh, ditch the dinky peacock feathers in the vase...you can keep the vase if you want, but you need tall and grassy element inside!

Think BIG on the things you put in the room...it seems you are shying away from scale and that is killing your project! Have fun!!!
April 29, 2013 at 6:05pm   
janishill
The vase is to tall. Wait until you have the drapes and the mirror done before buying anything else. You will have a better perspective on things once those projects are completed.

I think adding some random touches of orange, coral or yellow might be just what the room needs.
April 29, 2013 at 7:58pm   
Debbie
I thought it looked too tall, also. I do need to quit buying things until I get the other projects finished. I, too, was thinking I need to add another color. I saw yellow paired with teal in a Ballard Designs catalog and it was lovely.

OK, no more purchases and no more postings until I get my other tasks complete. Thanks, janishill!
April 29, 2013 at 8:06pm     
Lynne Forrestal
Debbie , of course you can post, ask for opinions etc, just don't BUY anything until.... LOL
April 29, 2013 at 8:08pm     
Lynne Forrestal
Debbie, have you seen this ideabook on working with teal?

April 29, 2013 at 8:13pm     
Debbie
So I typed that then looked up a lamp I saw earlier on Joss & Main for my study that I need to paint before I buy anything else for it. But, it's such a good deal! Lynne Forrestal, I have not seen that ideabook. I will take a look then I'm signing off before I buy something.
April 29, 2013 at 8:16pm     
janishill
Please post, just don't make purchases!!! :-)
April 30, 2013 at 4:29am     
PRO
Stamps Design Services
Debbie, I suggest you finish the headboard and draperies, before you add any other colors or items...it will give you a better idea of where you want to go :-)
April 30, 2013 at 2:48pm     
Debbie
Agreed, everyone! No more purchases except for materials required to finish the headboard, draperies and large mirror. I made a deal with my mother to paint her master bedroom this summer while my daughter is at camp, if she would make the drapes. She sews better and faster than me and she is retired. I paint walls better and faster than her and I'm not retired. We both win!
April 30, 2013 at 4:54pm     
PRO
Stamps Design Services
Good thinking! Please post when you finish headboard and draperies :-)
May 3, 2013 at 10:48am     
PRO
Vintage By Dounia
May 5, 2013 at 7:23pm   
Chrissy McCleery
Love your comforter and curtains..so soft...first, I would remove wreath and mirror. Move bed to other side of room and away from window. Use only the better nightstand and discard the round table. Buy a picture easel and place mirror on it. Put it on bedside table with one lamp,
May 5, 2013 at 7:31pm   
redecobecki
With each successive picture, it was better and better but, for me, I just kept feeling like it was blase'. Needed pattern. When you found the drapery fabric, I just went ahhh, and all was right with the world. I hope you make the draperies a statement and ordered enough fabric to carry them to ceiling and extend width to where when pulled they do not cover any of the window and the more substantial rod (like stated before). I would add a little something that shines, silver, maybe for the change dish. You've gotten some really great advice from everyone and I can't wait to see your next pic. Good goin' girl.
May 7, 2013 at 9:00pm     
PRO
Cheery Curtains
I like the color of the bed sheets and the curtains. So beautiful!!
May 8, 2013 at 2:15am     
Debbie
No new pictures to post yet, but I am making progress. I got the closet doors painted. They just need to be hung back up. The new nightstands came in and I love them! They match the dresser perfectly and they have a little drawer for guests to put personal items in. I have the drapery fabric and I ordered the lining yesterday. I didn't buy enough fabric for a tufted headboard, so I'm headed to Joann this weekend to see what I can find. I think I may look for something darker. The only things I have bought since my last post are high gloss trim paint for the closet doors and drapery lining. Do you really think I need a bigger drapery rod? My husband won't be happy since I just bought that one not long ago.
May 8, 2013 at 11:01am     
janishill
No. That rod is perfect. You do need to make the drapes longer and raise the rod up as in the illustration I posted so long ago that I will post it again :-D

I would wait until the drapes are up before buying the headboard fabric. The drapes will completely change the look of the room and who knows - you may decide to go with something else.

Can't wait to see the new tables and drapes.
May 8, 2013 at 12:29pm     
Debbie
I plan to make the drapes 94" and I'm going to mount the rod higher and wider to look like your illustration, janishill. :) I pulled the rod out wider to make sure it will work and it will. I'm also going to add more rings to make the "pleats" smaller so the drapes can hang wider. I think you're right about waiting until I get the drapes up to buy headboard fabric. I can't wait to get the drapes done, too!
May 8, 2013 at 12:40pm     
Debbie
OK, I couldn't wait until I got the drapes up to post another pic. I have to show off my nightstands. They were advertised as end tables, but I think they are perfect for nightstands.
May 8, 2013 at 4:36pm     
Margaret B
Very nice!!!
May 8, 2013 at 4:47pm     
Ann
The room is looking great! It will be wonderful when it is finished!
May 8, 2013 at 5:13pm     
Nancy Walton
You might consider using coral as your accent color. Just a few touches... since blue and orange are comlimentary colors, coral would be the perfect foil for the teal.
May 8, 2013 at 5:42pm     
janishill
Wow! It is coming together. One baby step at a time is all it takes. :-)

The tables are perfect!
May 8, 2013 at 6:21pm     
PRO
Stamps Design Services
Very nice tables!
May 9, 2013 at 1:16am     
defever
It's coming together beautifully. We have an oversized mattress so regular nightstands were too short. Instead, I ordered what was labeled "telephone table". It's a little narrower than a nightstand, but the height is perfect. Can't wait to see your drapes! And I agree with Nancy Walton that coral accents would be gorgeous!
May 10, 2013 at 7:21am     
PRO
GreenBox Art + Culture
This is a fabulous guest room, Debbie! We've got some great wall art options for all different styles and price points, so check out some pieces when you're ready to dress up that blank wall. http://www.greenboxart.com/store/canvas-wall-art.html?SID=qubu4h3f0la62va3iam3hs6597 Something like this "Peacock - Metallic Pearl White" by Eli Halpin would look lovely with your colors http://www.greenboxart.com/store/peacock-metallic-pearl-white.html
May 10, 2013 at 7:48am     
Debbie
I was hoping to post new drapes by now, but I had to return the lining I ordered online. It was 52" wide instead of the 54" the site claimed. I'm going to Joann tomorrow and will hopefully find some lining at a reasonable price. I finally got the mirror for the dresser finished and mounted. I would have preferred to hang the mirror above the dresser, but it's too heavy. It took hubby and me to get it on the dresser. You can also see the freshly painted closet doors in the mirror. The painted doors really brightened up the room more. A friend made the floral arrangement for me years ago. It has been tucked away in a closet. I'm having a really difficult time finding the right decor for the top of the dresser.
May 26, 2013 at 2:36pm     
janishill
The birds looked nice on the dresser; especially with the bird on the book cover. Maybe swap the white flowers for the birds...
May 26, 2013 at 6:50pm     
Debbie
Thanks, janishill. I'll try switching the white flowers with the birds that are now on the nightstand. Do you like the larger mirror over the dresser? I added the gold leaf and it looks really nice in person. I do like the pop of color of the floral arrangement, but not the arrangement. (That's why it was in the closet.) I'm still looking for the right bowl and lamp, but you'll be happy to know I haven't bought anything new for this room. I'm waiting on the new drapes. :)
May 26, 2013 at 7:26pm   
janishill
I'm sorry. I completely failed to mention it! It looks lovely. Did you do it or have it done?

I like the color as well. Eventually you will find the finishing items. You don't have to have a bowl. You could use a small tray or something else creative. Smart move not shopping yet, btw.
May 26, 2013 at 7:51pm     
Debbie
I did the mirror. I was afraid to ask what it would cost to refinish the mirror after the dresser. However, the dresser was worth every penny. I love it. I can't imagine it being anything other than the original finish and I couldn't have done that.
May 26, 2013 at 8:11pm     
Nancy Walton
Very nice job on the mirror, Debbie, it came out beautifully, and I think it's the perfect size for the dresser. Anxiously waiting to see the drapes...
May 27, 2013 at 12:20am     
Karen Suggs
I HAVE THAT VASE!!! and I love it I might add! Your Damask fabric is exceptionally beautiful. I love that you are taking a small room to a dramatic elegant finish. Use your leftover fabric to make a table runner for the top of your dresser. That will show off the gorgeous vase very very well! I would also make a "cushion" for the chair out of your damask. You might add a dramatic piece of black somewhere to make it pop. I can not wait to see the finished product!!! and add that small bit of black...you will love it!
May 27, 2013 at 1:37am     
Karen Suggs
BTW Debbie....the new look is a much improved look over "the orange room" ....haven't we all had those moments! Inspiration and cutting edge in the store.....a teardrop of shame and gulp of determination as you buy new inspiration to hide the previous inspiration lol...I suspect the NEXT teardrop will be in appreciation of the room's beauty and a secret love of your own obvious great style ;)....wanna come help decorate my house!!!
May 27, 2013 at 1:43am   
PRO
Stamps Design Services
Debbie I got drapery lining at WalMart, the only difference in it is the price!
May 27, 2013 at 7:09am   
janishill
You did a great job! can't wait to see the next update.
May 27, 2013 at 7:50am     
Debbie
I'm really liking the big mirror over the dresser. That's the way it was in my grandmother's house. You can't tell in the picture it's a bit foggy, but it's not too bad. I think the aged look gives it character. And, it's so nice to be off the floor after a year!
I was extremely disappointed I had to return the lining as the fabric was superior quality for the price. I ordered it from the same place I got the drapery fabric which is absolutely beautiful. I cannot wait to get the drapes done!
Stamps Design Services, the WalMarts in my area quit carrying fabric a couple of years ago. I'm not sure why.
You are all so wonderful. This room has come a long way with your help. It makes me smile every time I enter it.
May 27, 2013 at 8:24am   
saltpondsusu
Hello. My first post ever! although, this is my 3rd attempt-yeesh, I really invested some time here so I hope you don't cringe at my suggestions!
Love your SW Sea Salt paint, so pretty.
First, your grandmother's dresser looks lovely and the framed mirror looks nice above it. I'm a bit confused. Is this the original mirror paired with the dresser or a modification? Previous posters recommended you attempt to limit adding small scale items and instead, consider grander, more dramatic, "statement" pieces. Your grandmother's dresser/mirror are your most treasured pieces. The dresser itself is your statement piece.
Less, is more. Instead of a fabric runner of excess drapery fabric (I considered this at first too), you could have a thick piece of quality glass professionally cut to fit the top. Usually, the edge is finished and often resembles the color of sea glass. Quality glass will not only appear rich but will provide years of protection as well. It will also be easy to clean using window cleaner when you clean the mirror.
The dresser should support only a few, select items. How about a very large, clear vase in which you arrange a substantial number of tall, large silk flowers in complementing and contrasting colors (I address contrasting color later)?
You could add the peacock feathers that are in the vase on the floor in the corner to the viewer's right of the bed. If you love and want them then, keep them.
The vase on the floor is too small. You might consider clearing the floor in this corner and remove this vase from the room.
I think two, good quality, clear glass photo frames, one 5"x7" the other, 8"x10" would add a clean, fresh look.
In each, place a photo of your grandmother. Maybe one when she was a young woman or near the age when she purchased her dresser and one of you and her together. Maybe you have one of your mom and you together as well. Especially as you are experiencing feelings of deep respect, love and appreciation for your mom as she copes with the challenge of your Dad's illness (sorry). Family photos will add the warmth you seek without risking "kitsch".
You need a lamp, one that attracts the eye to your lovely heirloom. Pier One offered this lamp, see link please. I bought two as a birthday gift to myself. It is a beautiful lamp with a round, deep teal or peacock colored glass body. The shade is a wheat/linen color lined with dark teal. A small, teal colored, glass orb finial is positioned at the top. Two would allow you to place one at the bedside.
See the lamp here: http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzMXKd4Iqw6nIlqZXYF1XXbDMMYviqPhtNSUFPDYJAdGIJ5DN_

The Viewer's Right Corner:
as previous posters recommend, think grander. It looks as if you switched out the small round mirror with a feathered wreath. Are they peacock feathers? Pier One?
This wreath is still too small for the space.
One poster recommended the Green Box Art and linked a fabulous, multi-color peacock. I accessed the site and see they have a different version of the bird. It is tall (36") and narrow. Please revisit this site and see this piece I pasted link at the end. Envision it on the strip of wall to the right of the bed.
Another nice fit could be a Chinese paper and silk scroll that can be long and narrow and often decorated with birds and other nature scenes. This would work well with my last recommendation which references the teal garden stool you posted.

This peacock art not only exhibits teals, blues and greens but also yellows, oranges, coral, red and rust.
Many posters recommend you add an additional color to your pretty scheme and a previous poster recommended you paint the small bedside table a bright color to attain some drama. This is a great idea. I actually think you could paint in high gloss, a color that is also a bit darker than Sea Salt and later put a small but bright contrasting item on the table. Maybe a small, brightly colored, leather journal in which your guests can use as a guest register/diary. Visits from friends and family will be recorded. A new family tradition for your daughter.
I see this table as also home to the teal lamp that matches the one on the dresser so I wouldn't want to see it too bright, no saffron for example.

I spent so much time (too much time-sigh) thinking about this color thing and came back to write this little piece before posting. Consider adding additional blues a cobalt or navy on the dark end to add depth in keeping with the brown wood of the dresser and add more turquoise or aqua similar to the turquoise in your fabric and shades of cream and linen. The blue in your fabric is not teal. Pillows on the bed are teal. Pale coral or a medium pink could be added later if you decide to but in the interim, have enough deep shades of blue and teal to anchor, so to speak, the creams and importantly, the light, bright turquoise (almost aqua) in your fabric.
You can visit the 36" tall Peacock here: http://www.greenboxart.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/2/small_image/187x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/e/peacock-metallic-ocean-blue_nb1506_1.jpg

The Viewer's Left Corner:
a previous poster cited you having two round bedside tables and recommended you switch one out. I agree and think in this left (viewer's left) corner you might like to consider a tall, narrow cabinet with open shelves atop a doored cabinet. It need not be too expensive. Maybe find a piece you can paint on Craigslist, IKEA or your local, unfinished wood furniture store. You may select a high gloss version of the SW Sea Salt or again, even better, a color that is a bit deeper, just a bit more teal or turquoise. This could be a color match to the opposite side's table.
If you do select a third color in the corals, then maybe paint the back surface/wall of the cabinetry in a pale version of any bright coral you might select.
The decorative items, birds, books, clock, vase could all be arrange on the cabinet's shelves without appearing too cluttered. Give the vase a spot where it will appear illuminsted.
Often, adjustable height shelves can accommodate a small lamp with its cord run through to back, neatly hidden.
Guest toiletries could be stored away until guests arrive. These its will also stay fresher, free from dust and fading.
If you do select a taller, more colorful art piece for the forward facing wall on the left side of the bed, a tall, narrow cabinet on the right would be nicely balanced.
With your plan to raise the drapery rod, the height flanking the bed will look great.
Draperies/Headboard:
You plan to raise the height of drapery rod. Great!
One thought I had is, what if you were to paint the rod?
If the rod were painted similar to the cabinet, with a high gloss color, deeper than SW Sea Salt, I think it would look beautiful. I'm tempted to suggest the rod be painted in your contrasting, third color, let's continue with coral as our example. It might look really great, a bit of color high at the ceiling. Your fabric is so beautiful, I'm concerned a bright rod might conflict with the elegance of your fabric.
I also think your drapes now are pretty- too bad you need to heighten which will render them curtains, not drapes. Do paint the rod/clips and I would match to a shade lighter than the gorgeous aqua in your fabric.
Your fabric is sooo special, maybe you should focus on creating a beautiful roman shade which, at the head of the bed might appear as a headboard. Also, create a wide bed runner across the bottom and possibly you could add a strip of fabric as a free form swag draped over the rod at the ceiling.
Maybe for now, as it's coming up on summer, you may want to hold off on making your long drapes and instead, use your gorgeous fabric as a bed coverlet and skip the expense of the West Elm piece you had in mind.
An inexpensive curtain option, hang an ample number of long, simple, all cotton sheers to a brightly painted, high gloss rod. IKEA's very long, muslin cotton, grommet topped drapes are "hem to size" using iron and hemming tape. They are sold in pairs, not single panels. I bought them for my beach cottage but have not put them up yet. The muslin cotton looks as if it would even dye well if you desired color. I recently saw these in a local cupcake shop. A single panel was used as an interior privacy "door". Hung high on a wide, black colored rod, the grommets were threaded with bright pink, pale pink and black ribbons. The panel was decorated using permanent art markers to write in large, black script, a recipe for vanilla cupcakes. Colored markers were used for drawings of cupcake ingredients, hearts, flowers etc..
I'm not certain if anyone posted about the carpet but a runner might be nice up one side or a small area laid over your wall to wall. It's tough to see the true color of your carpet. If you introduce the deeper blues, like cobalt or navy then you could easily go with a cream and navy chevron, crisp-contemporary, yet somewhat classic or a Moroccan style dark blue and cream.
Last item, you posted a photo of a teal colored, Chinese garden stool. If you were to add a garden stool (love!) then consider one without too much etched pattern. The open patterns can become little dust collectors, an extra worry for a guest room. Instead of teal, how about a dark, classic blue with a multi-color chinoiserie pattern-timeless!
Enjoy building your room, it's pretty and very welcoming.
May 27, 2013 at 10:10am     
defever
Wow saltpondsusu! You really did put in a lot of energy in the above post! Lots of great ideas, too. I especially like your idea of honoring the grandmother by putting a picture of her on the bureau. Just as an fyi, Debbie recently purchased the bedside tables and lamps. The peacock poster is gorgeous and I like your suggestion of adding some navy. This site certainly offers the opportunity for wonderful thoughts!
May 27, 2013 at 10:36am     
Debbie
Thank you for all the wonderful ideas, saltpondsusu! I like your idea of adding pictures of my grandmother. I'll have to see what I can find. It's funny you mentioned the glass for the top of the dresser. I thought of that, too. My 20 lb cat likes to jump on it and has already put a few scratches in it. I keep the door closed most of the time to keep him out. He has destroyed my wood living room furniture. I've considered finding a cinder block, a piece of rope and a deep lake. OK, just kidding.
I'm pretty set on the drapes. The fabric is very heavy and will help block the morning sun. I'm hoping they will help block the heat, too. The window faces east and this room heats up fast when the sun hits it. Also, I'm thinking I won't need any artwork on either side of the bed once the patterned drapes are up.
I have removed the wreath and the vase. The large mirror now over the dresser is the mirror my grandmother had on the dresser, but I don't think the dresser and the mirror originally came together. The man who restored the dresser also said the mirror was probably not original to the dresser. I don't know if my grandmother bought them together or not.
May 27, 2013 at 12:22pm     
Debbie
What do you think of this lamp for the dresser? Is it OK to mix the cream, ceramic gourd lamps with a brass lamp? Also, the shades on the gourd lamps are cream while the shade on the brass lamp is white. The Carnival glass bowl was my grandmother's, so I thought it fitting to use here and it's the right size.
June 15, 2013 at 3:25pm     
janishill
I like it.

Have you tried sitting the picture frame on top of the two books stacked? The lamp appears tall enough already and is dwarfing the picture frame.
June 15, 2013 at 4:58pm   
Debbie
I like the lamp, too. It's ironic that I sold my brass lamps and now I'm buying another one. This one is more contemporary and seems to compliment the other lamps. The books are actually velvet lined boxes that could easily be used by guests for a jewelry box.
My mother has finished the drapes! They are coming over tomorrow for a drape hanging party! Tomorrow is our 23rd wedding anniversary and father's day. Last Saturday was my parent's 53rd wedding anniversary. We're going to celebrate by hanging drapes and enjoying my husband's famous (to us) shish kabobs and fresh corn on the cob. You’ve got to try these. It’s so simple yet so yummy!
Get sirloin steak cut about an inch thick. Cut into one inch or thicker cubes. Hubby quarters sweet onions (we get 1015s in the south), cuts red bell pepper into one inch pieces and whole white fresh mushrooms. Marinate everything in one part olive oil to one part Worcestershire sauce. He puts it all in a gallon size freezer bag for at least an hour. Soak small wood skewers in water while everything is marinating. Skewer, grill to desired doneness and enyoy!
Happy Father’s Day!
June 15, 2013 at 6:13pm     
bevballew
What a marvelous job you have accomplished. I love the teal. I think I liked the white lamp on the dresser. The mirror looks fantastic there. The drapes will change the room and then help,with the finishing touches as it will change the look of the room.
June 15, 2013 at 6:52pm     
bevballew
Thank you so much for the recipe! Happy anniversary! A fun day!
June 15, 2013 at 6:53pm     
mdnotdr
Debbie, I just found your post and finished reading all the comments and your responses...my hat is off to you!!! Not only is your room coming together beautifully, but you've made so much of it and kept this thread going with such energy and humor. I'm using some of the suggestions people have made in my own guest room although I'm not as handy or brave as you are...sewing a straight seam is something I still need to learn...ha! I love your grandmother's dresser and am pleased you kept the mirror with it. Happy Anniversary and thanks for this fun read!
June 15, 2013 at 7:46pm     
janishill
Congratulations to you and your hubby as well as to your parents. I hope all four of you have a most wonderful double anniversary celebration.

Yum! I so miss grilling out. People here do sometimes, but nothing like back home where you drive down the street and know what kind of meat is on cooking by the smell. (Have I told you I am from Alabama, but live in Massachusetts?) We'll have to try the shish kabobs. They sound delish!

I thought the same thing about the lamps. I really think you should have kept you other lamps. You would have used them somewhere. I do like this one though. it is lovely.

I would like to see the book/boxes stacked one on top of the other with the frame on top. Maybe even add a couple more pictures in varying sizes.

I can hardly wait to see the drapes. I will be watching for pictures this evening!

Have a great day!
June 16, 2013 at 3:11am     
Debbie
Bevballew, I like the white lamp, too. I'm kind of torn between it and the brass lamp. I like them both.

Well, I was wrong. My mother has not finished the drapes. She still needs to hem them. She brought only one panel over so she could mark the hem while it was on the rod. She's such a perfectionist when it comes to stuff like this. I need to get some anchors before I can raise the rod, so hubby and I held the rod up while my mother marked the hem line. I told her she had an audience anxiously waiting to scrutinize her work. No pressure. :) She said she would probably have them done by next weekend. But, I do have a preview.
June 16, 2013 at 4:24pm     
janishill
Love, love, love them. Tell your mom she's hired!

Not that I should say this, but if you could find a small pillow in the deep beige color from the drapes to put in the center of the white pillows...
June 16, 2013 at 5:24pm     
Nancy Walton
Debbie, they're beautiful! Where did the sequin pillow go that was on the bed before? I thought it was perfect.
June 16, 2013 at 5:39pm     
Debbie
Thank you, janishill and Nancy Walton. I wish you could see them in person. They are absolutely gorgeous! I am so glad my mother agreed to make the drapes. She was explaining how she had to calculate to make sure the pattern was centered on the panel, how to calculate to make the pattern match between the panels, how to deal with the “salvage”, etc. I write programs for financials systems and she had my head spinning. I don’t think she needs more than two coats of paint in her bedroom, so I’m going to have to find another room in her house to paint to make up for the work she has put into these drapes.
The paisley pillow I had between the two white pillows clashed with the damask pattern in the drapes. We talked about making a cover for the little pillow out of left over drapery fabric, but the pattern is too big. I do need another pillow in front of the two white pillows.
So, janishill, what’s a Southern lady doing in MA? I’ve worked all over the country and got along fine, but I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else but the South…thanks ya’ll!
June 16, 2013 at 6:26pm   
Nancy Walton
Debbie, could you do me a favor--humor me--take a photo of the same view with the sequin pillow on the bed? Let us decide if it doesn't go with the drapes, OK?
June 16, 2013 at 6:36pm   
janishill
Debbie, I married a Yamn Dankee! My sweetie is from the Boston area. He owned 2 business' when we married, so it was best that I move here. we were missionaries in Belize for over 2 years, so he is acquainted with hot temperatures. I can handle the cold better than he can handle the heat! I miss a soft southern night and the growing season, but mostly I miss the sun! Now I am getting home sick!

What if you reverse the fabric and cover a pillow?

I don't remember a sequin pillow, but the paisley one would look great tucked in a small chair...
June 16, 2013 at 6:44pm     
Debbie
Nancy Walton, my mother took the drapery panel with her to finish it at her house. I got to enjoy it for about an hour. Sniff! When I get both panels up, I will post a picture with the new drapes and the paisley pilllow. I'd like to use the pillow since I paid a pretty penny for it at Pier 1.

My guests have postponed their visit until August, so I have time to get some more done.

janishill, don't get home sick. I got up at 7:00 yesterday morning the clean the patio for today's celebration. It was already in the upper 80's. I was so hot and sticky by the time I got done I had to cool off for an hour before I could take a shower. I got my begonias out late this year and I'm hoping they actually make it another couple of weeks. I’m watering them every day.
June 16, 2013 at 7:57pm     
Nancy Walton
No problem, Debbie.
June 16, 2013 at 10:31pm   
janishill
I know you are sweltering, but it's June! The other day I had to turn the heat on!

I am excited you are getting the room close to finished. :-)
June 17, 2013 at 6:20am   
janishill
Are you on FB? I have a group there you might like: https://www.facebook.com/groups/166280910210940/?fref=ts
June 17, 2013 at 6:25am   
Debbie
I have a FB account, but I haven't been on it in a long time. I'll see if I can still get in and check out your group.

I'm excited about getting the room finished, too. Except I'm going to miss you all when it's done. My mom brought over the fabric I bought for the headboard yesterday. I forgot it's a really nice suede-like material. I bought it in February of last year. I may forego the tufted headboard and make a simple, low profile headboard so I can use this fabric.
June 17, 2013 at 7:17am     
PRO
Stamps Design Services
Debbie, The draperies look great...can't wait to see the headboard!
June 17, 2013 at 10:35am     
Debbie
Janishill, I'll look you up!

Looking at the pictures again (instead of working, like I should be), I really do need some coral or something. I've been keeping my eye out for a faux arrangement or even silk flowers to make my own arrangement, but just try to find anything coral when you're looking for it.

I'm surprised no one said anything about the sheers. I can't believe I found the perfect match to the taupe color in the drapes and in 95" length. They've got to be hemmed, too, once I raise the rods. Also, I'm going to see if my husband can install a piece of moulding to cover the gap at the top of the blinds.
June 17, 2013 at 12:33pm   
janishill
lol...I was so enthralled by the drapes that I didn't even notice the sheers! They do look nice though. The molding is a smart idea.

I deleted that post, but you can find me. :-)
June 17, 2013 at 5:08pm     
Nadeen Pagano
I've enjoyed reading this thread on your adventures in decorating your guest room I'm working on a room right now, but not sure I'm brave enough to post as I go. LOL! It's electric blue with lime green accents (not my color choices....it's a friend who has adopted our family and she will stay in the room when she visits. :)
June 18, 2013 at 9:49am     
Debbie
Nadeen Pagano, I was a little afraid to post at first because I know how bad I am at decorating. I've been really bad at it for a long time. LOL! I have wasted too much money on bad decisions. I just love that the people on this site are so courteous and provide constructive criticism instead of just slamming you without feedback.

I have found it extremely helpful to take pictures, even if I don't post them. It's funny how a picture can bring out the good or bad.

To everyone who "Liked" the drapes, thank you so much. I told my mother how many likes her drapes had gotten and she was so pleased. She really needed that boost. Then she wanted to know how many "Not Likes" they got. I told her none so far. ;-)
June 18, 2013 at 10:34am     
defever
I'm so envious watching your room come together. We live with my in-laws and my father-in-law cannot understand why I want to redo the guest room. So it has mismatched furniture, horrible lamps, no headboard and an ugly storage cabinet which he insisted be moved into the space. I painted the walls off-white (there is no other acceptable color for him), bought inexpensive bed linens and some inexpensive drapes, just trying to make the space look somewhat decent. The room/space is comfortable and clean, but hardly makes a fashion statement! So I'm living vicariously through you!
June 18, 2013 at 9:36pm     
Debbie
defever, your comment means so much to me. I hope you get your own house one day so you can paint the walls whatever color you want!

I'm envious when I see rooms posted on here that are furnished and accessorized from stores I can't afford to walk into. I often feel my room looks frumpy compared to others, but it looks a ton better than when I first posted it. So, it got me wondering how much I have spent since I started redoing this room over 18 months ago. The ceramic lamps are from jcp.com, the comforter, white pillows, curtain rod and rings are Bed, Bath and Beyond (all bought one at a time as I waited for the next 20% off coupon to come in the mail), teal pillows and throw were a splurge from Pier 1 (and what started all of this), side tables from Joss & Main, drapery fabric from fabric.com, lining on sale at Joann, sheers on sale at JCP.

Ceramic Lamps $90
Teal Pillows and Throw $120
Comforter $120
White Pillows $60
Side Tables $260
Drapery Fabric $135
Lining $20
Sheers $35
Rod and Rings $80
Paint $50
Total $970

Oops, forgot to include the dresser. $450 to have it restored.

I don't remember how much I paid for the headboard fabric, but I'm going to make it then I'm done for a while!
June 19, 2013 at 11:42am     
defever
Thanks, Debbie. Ours is a different situation and our house is actually next to theirs and I have lovely colors while he has linen! I am slowly replacing items in the room and "sneaking" them in. My f-i-l is 81 and just doesn't get it! As much as I would love the room to be beautiful, I'll settle for clean and comfy! Beautiful will come eventually!
June 19, 2013 at 9:23pm     
dsimmer
janishill--Can you please post the site for the [family?] photo grouping? I love the horizontal line that separates the rows and the effect of a mirror image even though it is not exactly that. Thank you.
June 19, 2013 at 11:37pm   
Debbie Wright
I love the dark wood. I think the lamps look to small. There should be another accent color maybe a rose color or coral. Maybe something more exciting on the dresser maybe some pretty framed flowers. I like the mirror on the right side of the bed but I think you need 4 other hanging pictures or something it's to bare. You normally do groupings in 3, 5 etc off numbers. Maybe a pretty green mixed with other colors on the dresser with a big vase of peonies or whatever is in season. The stems in peonies doesn't make the water smell and they don't rot easily. But a small amount of bleach helps that. These are just my ideas I'm a florist and ran a bedding outlet for many years. Experiment with what you have and have fun!!!
June 20, 2013 at 12:00am   
Debbie Wright
Maybe some teal rope type ties around the drapes. And something above the drapes. Like a collection of small pictures or some greenery to break up the rod to the ceiling. Good luck it looks great just not finished. Color is always nice.
June 20, 2013 at 12:05am   
Debbie Wright
Last comment they have those metal hooks you attach to the wall which could match your curtain rod. Then when you pull back the curtains you can use tie backs or just hook the curtains over the J shaped tie back holder. And the one mirror is too small but I have seen that comment. I got a great dark large mirror at Home Depot and the tie backs at Ross they have great little accessions. You just have to check around if you have time.
June 20, 2013 at 12:13am   
dsimmer
I have finally (!) finished reading the entire post. Like you, Debbie, I have found the feedback on a design dilemma of my own to be encouraging and stimulating. I find the process to be incredibly helpful, yet, at times, daunting. Isn't it interesting that people's ideas vary so much? With your room, I found that I like both creams and white with the turquoise (which has been my favorite color forever. I think that is what drew me to this post.) While I understand that a complementary color can brighten up a room, I love the calm of having one color with neutrals--especially in a bedroom. It is a matter of preference.

For examples of having an accent color--or not--you may want to check out photos of "Parkwood Road Residence" by Martha O'Hara Interiors which I found on this site tonight. The master bedroom does not have an accent color while other rooms do. Photos of this home reminded me that I need to have a sense of the flow from one room to the next for my own sense of calm, and reinforced that I can use just one color with whites and off-whites where I want a rich yet calm palette.

I love the idea of adding your grandmother's photos since it is her dresser that inspired the room. Such old photos are often small and it would be wonderful if you could find a grouping of three to put on the right side of your dresser. If you happen upon a large one in the original oval wood frame, then that would certainly deserve as special place in the room. Another option is to have a smaller one enlarged and framed in a style that befits her era. (I have an old frame with a photo of a distant aunt I never knew. I'm going to enlarge a photo of my grandmother in sepia tones and have it put in this frame.) The old sepia tones will be perfect in your room.

The dish of your grandmother's that you put on her dresser adds yet more meaning to the room, and it looks very nice in the photo.

In my opinion, one does not need to make everything match-matchy; I find it quite elegant to have lamp shades, for example, that don't have turquoise added to them. I think having the same fabric in more than one place (drapes and accent pillow or chair seat, for example) is less interesting than using similar colors in different patterns and scales. (This is exemplified well in the "Parkwood Road Residence Master Bedroom" by Martha O'Hara Interiors; notice the difference in fabrics used for the drapes and the pillows--four different accent fabrics, I think.)

Nor do I think everything in the room needs to be painted to match or coordinate. In my opinion, it would be overkill to add more turquoise in tie backs or the headboard or other pieces suggested, but that is my personal preference. I try to avoid anything that looks contrived. I love peacock feathers, but I would have to really think about having any in the room as it seems too "obvious." I think I would just add fresh flowers when guests arrive and that would be my "pop," although I understand the fun of having several pops of an accent color scattered evenly throughout a room. I just don't think it is a "must" but rather a matter of personal preference and the atmosphere that you want in the room.

I like to use one color and neutrals, then add or change the accent color seasonally with a few pillows and a throw. For example, in my family room of whites-creams-caramels, I also have green. Very neutral. In the fall I put in rust and red solids along with a paisley print that ties the two colors together. At Christmas I remove the rust and add more reds as well as aqua and silver, then remove all but the aqua after Christmas. When spring fever hits, long before March 20, I switch it out for a little yellow. And by summer I am ready to go back to my original palette that is calmer and cooler. For me, the key to this is having at least one print that includes the green and other neutrals in the room. I love having this flexibility.

I submit these opinions humbly and respectfully to you and all others who have commented, so that you might weigh them, but also to reassure you that you are the one, in the end, to make these decisions based on your style and taste.

I like the size of the two pictures you hung on the wall to the left of the window wall, and I think they look very nice hung as they are, one over the other. I can't really see the subject(s) in them, but they "feel" just right to me. They appear to be the perfect scale in that space. I don't think I saw the opposite wall, but if it is a large bare wall, then it would need a grouping, also. Although groupings and "all things design" are, as a law of nature, more pleasing to the eye in odd numbers, a grouping of two over two, for example, would be quite pleasing in this room. I have seen that done well with botanicals, for example. The size and proportions of the prints in relation to the size and proportions of that wall will determine the number you need.

I, too, have a mom who sewed (before macular degeneration interfered.) Sewing is a skill that makes for so many more possibilities, and now your drapes, like your dresser, tell another family story to be cherished.

Your room feels rich, warm, and elegant yet very comfortable, cozy and inviting. Isn't it fun to pull a room together--together?! I love Houzz!

I look forward to any additional photos and comments.
June 20, 2013 at 12:35am        Thanked by Debbie
janishill
dsimmer...There is no link for the family picture gallery wall. It has been floating around for a long time. It is simple to recreate, however. Simply measure your wall, divide it in half, move up 2 inches, make hash marks and pop a chalk line. Move up another 2 inches and pop another chalk line. Hang bottom pictures so the top of the frame hits the bottom line and hang upper pictures so that bottom of the frame hits the top chalk line.
June 20, 2013 at 5:08am     
Debbie
dsimmer, what a lovely post. Thank you for the kind words. I think I have every Martha O'Hara Interiors photo saved. Love her stuff!

My grandmother had a picture in her house from when she was young. I don't know what happened to it, but I wish I could find it. It was in a large oval frame with the rounded glass (I don't know how else to describe it) and the photo was the sepia tone. I phoned my uncle to ask for some photos of my grandmother. He said he does have some and will look for them the next time he goes home. He spends most of his time at "The Camp," his beach house in Florida.

What do you all think of these prints for the large blank wall to the right of the bed? They are 31" H x 27" W, which is pretty substantial and would help fill up the space. The prints to the left of the bed are bird cages. I'm eyeing this comforter, too. It's sheer voile and silk. I love the ruffles. Do you think the teal pillows would be too contemporary for it?
June 20, 2013 at 8:55am     
dsimmer
Thank you. I do hope you are given the framed photo of your grandmother! I like the birdcage subject of your small prints...a subtle reference to birds without saying, "This is my peacock room!" But that is my preference, and you can ignore it ;-) I do like the larger scale of the prints for a larger wall, and that the size would be different than the birdcage prints.

As for the comforter you are considering, it seems to be of a totally different "feel" than the drapes. I would be uncomfortable with that combination, but I'm not a professional designer. I think eclectic is very hard to do, and I think right now your room is all of one style with a few more contemporary accents, all very appropriate to your inspiration piece. I'll be interested to read what pro designers recommend for a comforter.

I admire your ability to spring into action and get things done! Expecting guests can be a great motivator!
June 20, 2013 at 12:02pm   
Nancy Walton
I love those peacock prints! I think they would take care of that empty wall quite nicely.
June 20, 2013 at 12:19pm   
dsimmer
As I look back at your most recently posted photo, I thought that, yes, the peacock prints may be just right. Then I remembered that your new drapes are in a very rich teal. I'm eager to see your new photos of the room once the drapes are in place. And it won't hurt to hang the peacock prints and see if they balance the room or if they are too dark.
June 20, 2013 at 12:45pm   
Debbie
I wish I could try the prints out first, but they're online and a final sale.
June 20, 2013 at 1:00pm   
Nancy Walton
Print them out with an ink jet printer, then take them to a copy center and have them blown up full size. It would give you an idea without actually buying them. The cost of copying would be worth not making a mistake.
June 20, 2013 at 1:34pm        Thanked by Debbie
Debbie
That is a great idea, Nancy Walton! We have great color printers here at work, so I just printed the image out on a full page. The image quality is not good enough to enlarge, but it will give me a good idea of the color. Thank you!
June 20, 2013 at 1:54pm   
Nancy Walton
Even enlarging the pictures would give you an idea of the colors, but also the size for the wall. It doesn't really matter if they're blurry or pixelated.
June 20, 2013 at 1:57pm     
Debbie Wright
I appreciated your responses, I'm different than most I guess because I liked the vase. You don't have to have tall flowers you can ave ivy or spider plants hanging from the vase and tulips that can hang. As a florist there is no rule but what causes pleasure to the eye. Calla lilies also lean it doesn't have to be something straight up and down. I have a lot of Murano Italian glass. I'm a lot about accessories. Bubble glass, I love the idea if the three grouping of mirrors. Like you said it's ultimately up to you. The suggestions are all others ideas and likes and hopefully support of your ideas.
June 20, 2013 at 2:02pm   
Debbie Wright
I thought I would show you a shot of one of my tie backs and one of the things I use. I know it's not your thing but sometimes you don't know if your describing it right. You, meaning me. lol I don't even know if I'm calling it the right thing. Best of luck
June 20, 2013 at 2:11pm   
dsimmer
janishill: Thank you for your time to give detailed instructions about the family photo gallery wall. I will definitely be doing this; my photos are waiting to be framed in one color, and this gives me a sense of what sizes I want. I just wish I could add your image to my design file. May I invite you to look at my design dilemma, "Lighten Up! But How?" I apologize if this is in bad form. I don't know of another way to link up with those who post on Houzz.
June 20, 2013 at 3:17pm   
dsimmer
Old family photos. Black-and-white in similar frames. Great idea for this room!
June 20, 2013 at 4:23pm   
Debbie
janishill, I sent you a friend request a few days ago on FB. Did you get it? Am I going to have to get my 10 year old to help me figure out FB?
June 20, 2013 at 6:23pm   
janishill
I will have to check!
June 20, 2013 at 6:59pm   
janishill
I didn't see a friend request. Janis Taylor Hill, Massachusetts
June 20, 2013 at 7:32pm   
Debbie
Yes, that's where I sent it. I see a sent request in my account. I will get my daughter to help me tomorrow. OMG, she's 10, I'm a computer programmer and I need her help! That's too funny!
June 20, 2013 at 7:40pm     
janishill
That is funny! I'm probably the one that needs her help though. :-)
June 20, 2013 at 7:42pm   
Tahia Lorenzo
Thanks for this discussion. I've so enjoyed this room's transformation, slowly, on a budget yet absolutely spectacular end.
June 20, 2013 at 8:01pm     
angelinaeve7
86 the wall to wall.
June 20, 2013 at 8:09pm   
Debbie
janishill, I sent a friend request to my daughter and she got it. Do you have an "Other" folder? It said the request would go to "Other folder."

angelinaeve7, I would love to replace all the carpet in my house with wood floors. As soon as I have three to four grand laying around, I will. Thank you for your input.
June 21, 2013 at 3:58pm     
lorik914
Simple changes. Make curtains higher. If too short have similar material added to length.
Switch lamps. Add side table decorations. Remove Small Mirror and hang something that is of similar color of throw.
This change should be simple and less than $500
June 21, 2013 at 8:28pm   
Nancy Walton
Is it too much to ask if someone makes a comment on a long discussion that they don't want to read, they at least scroll through the comments and look at the photos of changes made over the course of the discussion before they offer suggestions?
June 21, 2013 at 8:52pm     
lorik914
Note to self!
June 22, 2013 at 6:09am   
Nancy Walton
Thank you, Lorik. It just means that you are not wasting YOUR comments. It really is interesting to read some of these discussions, you can learn a lot, I think I read more than I comment, LOL!
June 22, 2013 at 8:03am     
Debbie
The drapes are up! My mother finished them last weekend. Today was the first chance I had to hang them up. It took forever to figure out how to space out the rings so they hang right. I still need to sew in the final hem and press them. The sheers also need to be hemmed. Hubby cut out the board for the headboard. I got the adhesive today to glue the foam to the wood. Plan to do that tomorrow. I have some left over drapery fabric, so I bought a lumbar pillow at Joann today to cover, but it's too big. What do you think? Does the paisley pillow clash with the drapes? I'm still looking for something coral to balance out the faux flowers on the right. I'll get fresh flowers for both side tables for my guests.

I'm including the original before picture so you can all see how much you have helped me!
July 4, 2013 at 8:48pm     
Nancy Walton
Beautiful, Debbie! The paisley pillow really accents the whole picture--WELL DONE! Can't wait to see the headboard.
July 4, 2013 at 8:51pm        Thanked by Debbie
Ann
I agree with Nancy - great job and such a difference!
July 4, 2013 at 9:17pm        Thanked by Debbie
Nancy Walton
You're welcome!
July 4, 2013 at 9:26pm   
aimran
looks lovely with only a few changes.. your flowers look more orange-ish than coral in the pic. the shade that your lit lamp shades give is nice and matches better. add something in that shade if you must.. don't think you need to balance it off though :)
July 4, 2013 at 9:42pm     
bevballew
Looks lovely. I think you need to move the end tables a few inches away from the bed. It hugs the bed too closely. Also I would try moving the lamps to the opposite end of the tables so rather than closer to the bed put them farther away from the bed.
July 5, 2013 at 7:35am     
Lynne Forrestal
Looks wonderful!
July 5, 2013 at 7:53am      Thanked by Debbie
Margaret B
What a wonderful transformation! Beautiful curtains!
July 5, 2013 at 8:19am      Thanked by Debbie
Debbie
bevballew, I moved the side tables out a little. The best I can do is center the lamps on the tables so the cords still reach the outlet. Does that look OK with the lamps centered on the edge of the drapes? I've got the rod maxed out on width.
July 5, 2013 at 4:08pm     
PRO
Stamps Design Services
It looks really good!
July 5, 2013 at 6:19pm        Thanked by Debbie
bevballew
That looks good. Would an extension cord help move the lamps a bit more? Maybe not necessary. Your call! Beautiful result nevertheless!
July 5, 2013 at 6:21pm        Thanked by Debbie
defever
What a beautiful, relaxing and inviting space! Well done! ps. Love, love, LOVE the paisley pillow!
July 5, 2013 at 6:38pm        Thanked by Debbie
janishill
You and your mom have done a lovely job!

I would hesitate to move the lamps. You don't want someone in bed to have to get up to turn it off! You may want to stretch out on the bed yourself to see if you can reach the lamps comfortably.

Congratulations on a job well done.
July 7, 2013 at 1:40pm     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
wow I love the transfermation it looks amazing!
July 7, 2013 at 2:07pm     
bevballew
Lamps look perfect now as above pic. I wasn't sure if the nightstand should be more centered on the wall between the bed and perpendicular wall but looking at it today it looks just fine. Funny how looking at something the next day can look different! It looks Very, very nice! Janishiill, I thought maybe lamps should be on outside end of nightstand but looking today it looks good. Furthermore, the room is a guest room so for look purposes when nobody is using the room to me looks are the factor. When a guest came the lamps could be moved in closer to the bed.
July 7, 2013 at 7:53pm   
trishd222
Have you finished the headboard?
September 9, 2013 at 7:58pm   
aimran
Hi can you please tell me what size is your bed? queen? what's the size of the throw? and peacock coloured cushions?
your bedroom has a cozy, stylish air. great work!!
September 9, 2013 at 9:31pm   
Debbie
Trish222, I have not finished the headboard. The last couple of months have been a little unusual for me and my attention was diverted. I hope to get back to it soon.
Aimran, the bed is a queen. The throw is 50" X 60". I think the pillows are a standard 20" square. The pillows and throw are from Pier 1. Thank you for the compliment!
September 10, 2013 at 7:58am     
aimran
thanks Debbie! :)
September 11, 2013 at 12:12am