Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Alfred Pace
July 17, 2011 in Design Dilemma
Good Day All,
Well after saving our pennies (and dollars!) for years, we are making a move. We are closing on a 1960's rancher on the SF Peninsula. The house is on a great lot, landscaped in a meditteranean/tuscal/napa valley style. We want to keep the yard in current form, but also want to update and perhaps expand the rancher. Our dilemma is this: How do we weave our desire to keep the 1960's rancher 'moderne' sensibility while tying it into the existing yard theme, etc. We will be remodeling baths, kitchen, expanding some rooms and potentially adding a 'poolhouse' or poolside room. We are excited about the project and fully expect we will be starting to aggressively in August!

Any thoughts, etc are most appreciated!

Al and Karen
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.
Dear Al and Karen -

Suggest you visit your local planning department and get an idea as to what is feasible as far as expansion is concerned - that will drive a number of other decisions. Some of Bill's clients have modernized their ranchers by replacing the interior wood with sheetrock and brick-faced fireplaces with venetian plaster or new stone.

Living Room with Venetial Plaster Fireplace

living room with fireplace by master stonemason

Once you have developed a sense of your restrictions (from your city) and what you want (houzz is a great resource) engage the services of a building designer who shares your aesthetic. Getting a contractor on board early helps with "value engineering" as well - he or she can help you make decisions based on cost (sometimes you can achieve a similar look at much lower cost).

Developing a master plan for your home will take some time (unlikely that you'd start actual remodeling in August), but will pay off in the long run.

Because your new home was built prior to 1978, you should have a contractor do lead testing to prepare yourself for any required lead abatement - the results could drive some decisions as well. A contractor working on your home is required to be EPA lead-safe certified. You can find more information here: http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovation.htm

:) Rhoda Fry http://www.billfryconstruction.com/
July 17, 2011 at 12:20PM   
Alfred Pace
Rhoda, Thank You!. Great comments. As to the expansion, have already met with city and have a good understanding of setback requirements and SF limitations. We are fortunate that due to the size of the lot, etc we will not run into any real limitations vis a vis our current plans. We are beginning to speak to builders to get a better understanding of floorplan, value engineering, etc. As to redoing the interior, I think you are correct, we will likely migrate to drywall, etc., cost and budget permitting!

I am uploading a couple of additional photos of the current kitchens and baths!

Thanks again for your insight!

al
July 17, 2011 at 12:28PM   
Annie Thornton
Hi dealhero, congratulations on such an amazing purchase! We would love to hear more about your plans for renovations on this home. Do you have priorities as to what you would like to accomplish first? What style of kitchen or bathroom are you going for? Good luck and keep us posted!
July 18, 2011 at 10:23AM   
Alfred Pace
Annie,

Thanks for your interest. Well, the house is 3,200 sf on a 1 acre lot. Our hope is to revitalize the home while attempting to retain much of the 1960's aesthetic. In other words looking for a 'contemporary rancher'. Currently, we envision that all baths and the kitchen will be renovated to reflect contemporary, but hopefully 'timeless' aesthetics. We anticipate an 'open' floorplan with a minor acknowledgement to formality in the form of a 'flexible' dining room that can be opened for larger gatherings and 'closed' for the occasional formal event. In addition, we hope to replace and potentially enlarge windows, new flooring (fans of polished concrete but wood subfloor is likely to cause some restraint). We are fans of Knoll, Eames, etc and presently own pieces such as a barcelona chair, pony chair Eames recliner, Albero sofa, etc. Finally, we likely will add a 'poolside' room, attached to the mainhouse. RIght now, we are considering large windows, or perhaps even a roll-up garage/windolite door to open this room to the pool, etc.

Of course we are also cognizant of budget, budget, budget (Did I mention 'budget'?). Having said so, we have an ability to execute (or at least think we do!) and are hoping to get started right away. We are in touch with a builder, architects, etc. and hope to narrow down aesthetic and floorplan right away such that we can move to drawings, etc and then to bid.

Any thoughts you or your friends might have are most sincerely appreciated!

al
July 18, 2011 at 12:26PM   
Sheila Schmitz
The period, the brick and roofline put me in mind of this restored Eichler in the Bay Area. To me, it has a timeless feel while celebrating its roots. Maybe it has some ideas for you?

July 18, 2011 at 12:33PM   
PRO
Bud Dietrich, AIA
Terrific house! And, yes, restored Eichler homes are a great inspiration.

I encourage you to find a good, local architect with the experience to work with you on this. There are probably several in the Bay area so finding the right architect would definitely be the right first step.

Good Luck!
July 18, 2011 at 1:22PM   
Alfred Pace
Shiela,

Great link! Thank You! I completely agree, what a great execution! Love the glass, lighting and sense of period. I have saved the link and will refer to it throughout the process!

Bud, yup-agreed as to architect. Working on that right now. Also very much looking at design/build approach.

I have to say, this site is great! What terrific encouragement and support! With your help and comments I am certain we will 'save ourselves from ourselves'!

al
July 18, 2011 at 1:36PM   
Emily Hurley
Hi Alfred, Just came across your post. Any updates on your progress. The house looks just great. Can't wait to see what you are doing with it!
February 14, 2012 at 11:39AM   
Alfred Pace
Some major changes, to be sure. After several months of evaluating a significant remodel, costs climbed to the point where building new seems to make more sense. So.....we are are building a 'new' Modern designed by architect Curt Cline of ModernHouse. The plans have just been approved and we hope to break ground within three weeks!

To be sure, a bit of disappointment to tear down the rancher; however we are attempting to be true to the spirit of the original, utilizing a similar foot print, floorplan, etc.

al
February 21, 2012 at 10:15PM     
Alfred Pace
Hello all,

It has been awhile since we checked in with an update....

As you can see from the photos, construction of our 'new mid century modern' is well underway with delivery scheduled for April of this year. We are still struggling a bit with the landscaping, but are in the process of modernizing the pool with new, energy efficient equipment while reconfiguring the shape to a more modernist rectangle, etc. As to the house, it is using a four zone, efficient Mitsubishi heating and recovery ventilation system. Hope you enjoy the update
January 27, 2013 at 5:48PM     
hparks74
Great house... The bones of this home already have you headed in the right direction. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
January 27, 2013 at 5:53PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It is a nice example of mid-century modern. You are fortunate that it has not been altered too much. You would be doing yourself a great favor by hiring an architect that likes this style. In your area this house can appreciate in value a lot if do well. You have a large population that likes this style. So much can be done here to make this an absolute jewel!
January 27, 2013 at 5:54PM     
Alfred Pace
Here a few others. House is further along than these photos indicate as they were taken sometime ago. I will post more recent ones soon.

Al
January 27, 2013 at 6:05PM   
Sheila Schmitz
This is shaping up to be a stunner — you must be so excited. Thanks for the update, and please do keep them coming!
January 27, 2013 at 6:54PM     
Alfred Pace
Sheila,

Thank you for your generous comments. We have a great team on this..Clarum and Curt Cline of Modernhouse. Notwithstanding the address, we are working on a budget and both groups thankfully have been sensitive to same!

I will post some renderings of the kitchen as well. Cabinets by ALNO of SF and appliances by Subzero and Miele,

Once again, kind of you to express your comments.

Best,

Al
January 27, 2013 at 7:42PM   
Alfred Pace
Slow, continuing progress. Most of drywall is in. Exterior stucco scratch and brown coat in. Steelwork running behind schedule...(ugh). Doors being set. Interior great room wood lid goes in this week!
February 17, 2013 at 6:41AM   
Alfred Pace
More progress. Interior wood lid. Extends to exterior overhang.
March 17, 2013 at 8:56AM     
Alfred Pace
Progress photos!
March 29, 2013 at 12:15AM   
More Discussions
Partiton of kitchan nd dining
I have a room of size 12#24.one side iwill make kitchen...
i need ideas for a small bedroom
how do you make a small bedroom bigger. i have a futon...
Shutters or no shutters?
We are in the process of spicing up our exterior. We...
Yea or Nay on Kitchen Cabinet/Island Colors
I'd like to update my kitchen cabinets and island with...
Help, what color hardwood for small kitchen/ dinning room
Just bought darker shade maple cabinets, terra bianca...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.