Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Art By Gretchen
November 30, 2011 in Design Dilemma
We live in a 1955 Eichler. We are renovating it room by room. The current "room" we are stumped by is the hallway. We have struggled to find a lighting solution due to all the beams. Wiring new fixtures is difficult to say the least. Beyond that, we cannot find ANYTHING that works with all our problems. Any lighting ideas??? Drill holes for track in the beams? The current globe lights just don't provide enough light.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
DeCocco Design
http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/et2-e20521-10-curva-two-light-flush-mount-276886.htm How about something like this? Weird, but fabulous at the same time. Comes in a 1 light, 2 light or 3 light size. Or look for a very clean fixture with a clear glass shade to give off more light.
0 Likes   November 30, 2011 at 5:38PM
PRO
Art By Gretchen
This may help too...we have an AMAZING fixture at our entry that is directly in line with the hall and kitchen. The kitchen drop globes we plan to keep. (See pics). I want something "different" from the round globe lights and also something that can light the halllway walls. We (I'm an artist) display a LOT of artwork and the hallway will become a sort of "gallery". Spot lights off a track?
1 Like   November 30, 2011 at 5:48PM
PRO
DeCocco Design
Oh baby, that is some fixture! I think your idea of little spots on a track is perfect. Don't upstage the current fixture, so keep the spot heads small and clean.
1 Like   November 30, 2011 at 5:52PM
PRO
Art By Gretchen
Yeah, I think it's the right idea. But, is it weird to run the track through the beams??? Some (most) of them are NOT structural at all. We wonder why they actually put them in. I really like Tech Lighting monorail systems. Any other suggestions?
1 Like   November 30, 2011 at 5:57PM
PRO
DeCocco Design
I forgot about the beams. I don't like the idea of going through them. Can't each section be a short track with two flexible heads on it? Let me think some more....
0 Likes   November 30, 2011 at 6:01PM
PRO
Art By Gretchen
Problem is...can't go up...Flat foam roof! No attic. This IS the big issue. We debate it every day! Every time you poke a hole in the ceiling you have "water" issues with the roof. It's NOT a cheap fix.
0 Likes   November 30, 2011 at 6:04PM
Shawn Lagemann
Since your walls are open right now, have you thought about supplimenting the lighting with wall sconces? Then replace the globe fixtures with a semi-flush light fixture with more than 1 bulb. The semi=flush will lower the light from being shadowed by the beams. Another alternative is a hole-in-the wall, literally called that, recessed light. They are very inconspicuious and reflect light up as well as out. When it comes time to paint use a paint with a little sheen to help reflect the light as well.
0 Likes   November 30, 2011 at 6:40PM
PRO
Art By Gretchen
We did...see pic 3...walls are closed up now. Sconces are nice, but not so great for artwork. We did scones in our 1st daughters room. Worked great! The beams are such a bummer (and also a cool Eichler feature!) . I keep looking at semi-flush fixtures, but nothing is modern enough and points directional to the walls, etc. At least nothing I've found to date hence the posting to Houzz! ;-) And, the added problem of the hallway connecting to the entry and kitchen...line of sight with the globe lights and entry fixture. I think I see some major roof work in my future! ;-)
0 Likes   November 30, 2011 at 7:01PM
PRO
Mona Ives
Use a picture light on the wall - these are appropriate for art work. You can also get wall mounted track lights with directional heads.
0 Likes   December 1, 2011 at 7:05AM
PRO
Art By Gretchen
Thanks for all the suggestions. Might be a combo of all of them. The first section of wall near the entry can be accessed when we redo our daughters room on the other side of the wall. Further down the hall, can't do it. That was already 'sheer walled' with plywood for earthquake and the opposite room was just completed. Not sure I want to rip it out again to get lighting. Maybe we can add a ceiling track in that section and tap the electrical from the existing globe fixture box. Eichler's are tricky and full of extra remodeling 'fun'! ;-)
0 Likes   December 1, 2011 at 7:20AM
PRO
Art By Gretchen
Found this on Houzz...Klopf did an Eichler near us and ran the track light through the beams. Great solution to a difficult problem. I think we may do this.
3 Likes   December 1, 2011 at 7:30AM
PRO
DeCocco Design
That looks fantastic!
1 Like   December 4, 2011 at 4:05PM
creekgirl
The globe lights are VERY representative of the Eichler look, and very attractive as well. I would replace them with globe lights of identical size, but with a much longer stem. This would offer more light in the hallway w/o losing that signature Eichler effect.

btw......globe lighting doesn't have to be terribly expensive. You can find replacement acrylic globes and create your own without a lot of expense.
0 Likes   March 11, 2012 at 5:19PM
PRO
Virgil Carter Fine Art
You are probably past your lighting issue in your remodeling, but for the future have you considered low voltage cable mounted fixtures that are just below the bottom of roof beams (or drilled through the beams at a higher elevation)? They can be hardwired or simply plugged into an existing convenience outlet using a low-voltage reostat controller. Very effective flood or spot lighting. Good luck!
1 Like   September 8, 2012 at 8:47PM
bruhaha876
I'm curious what solution you went with in the end. I own a Sunnyvale Eichler, and I too have a long hallway with 2 globes, but without the shadow problem that all your beam sections seem to pose, so the 2 globes are almost sufficient. I've been to many eichlers and I've never seen what you have there. Do those beams run in the same direction as the structural beams of the home? If they don't, they were probably added afterwards and could be removed. (Some might even say they ought to be removed if they aren't original or structural.)
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:13PM
PRO
Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
how about considering a pendant style light fixture that would let more light spread out on the walls and would clear the beams. I am sure some pendant styles would fit with your home style and bring light down to a good level.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:36PM
PRO
Eagledzines
You need light in each beam section just as the picture you found on Houzz. To do that, drop the ceiling just enough to drill a hole in the beam for wiring. Then sheetrock between each bay and put whatever lighting you want in. Then you will be able to have a light in each bay while still hiding the wire.

Or if they are not structural and it's not important to you aesthetically to have them there, just take them out.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 4:46AM
PRO
Art By Gretchen
We finished our hallway quite some time ago. We ended up keeping the globes and adding 3 recessed lights. We were able to add the recessed lights because we had to re-foam our roof. They work great and now we have ample light in the halls. And, the beams are original. When we opened the walls we could see they provided structure for the roof in the hall and they run the same direction as the beams in the bedrooms...actually going into the bedroom closets. As for the comment about sheet-rock...that just makes me cringe. Eichlers have tongue & groove ceilings and it's one of the best features of the house. Covering it would be sacrilege. :-)
2 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 12:27PM
onthefence
Gretchen - thanks so much for that earlier Klopf photo. Our house isn't a true Eichler - but it has some Eichler characteristics. The ceiling is one of them. It sounds like your final solution works well - you still get the visual statement of the globe AND get good lighting from the pot lights. And now you have a new roof as well ;-)

If you're inclined to post more photos of your home as you progress that would be great!

Congratulations on your Eichler!
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 12:35PM
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
If you don't mind , could you upload the after pictures. Just curious.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 12:39PM
PRO
Eagledzines
Art By Gretchen--I didn't notice when I posted to you that you inquiry was 15 months ago. I would love to see what you've done too if you could upload pics.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 12:41PM
PRO
Art By Gretchen
Just took these...hall finished.
3 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 2:13PM
onthefence
Oh. My. Stars.

If this is just your hallway I can only imagine the rest of the home. That is so very perfect to me. I really LOVE the way you've framed and hung your art. The doors are amazing too and seem very in keeping with the Eichler look.

Seriously amazing job!
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 2:28PM
PRO
Eagledzines
Amazing!!! Gorgeous!
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 2:35PM
PRO
Art By Gretchen
Thanks. I'm trying to figure out how to post all our remodeling pics on Houzz as a project. I have THOUSANDS of pics of every step in the remodel process. We are not done yet, but we've come so FAR from "House of Wallpaper" days. It's been like peeling an onion one layer at a time. :-)
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 2:35PM
PRO
Art By Gretchen
Oh, and the hall door ARE original. I refurbished them and replaced the inset panels with white acrylic panels. The old grass cloth panels were falling apart and with little kids we needed something a tad easier to clean.
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 2:37PM
PRO
DeCocco Design
You did a great job--congratulations!
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 2:43PM
onthefence
Whimper.....

I'm truly in awe of people who are doing what you're doing - taking a classic and updating it to today but still keeping the original integrity. My hat is off to you!
2 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 2:44PM
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
It must have required a lot of patience to pull this through, keeping your focus on budget, design etc.
Good job !
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 4:37PM
PRO
Art By Gretchen
Thanks. We are trying very hard to honor the original "vibe" of Eichler, but bring the house into this century. All the while keeping within budget (a tight one) and the neighborhood.
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 4:52PM
onthefence
I've just looked at your photos update Gretchen. Man what a project this must be! Obviously a labor of love ;-)

Just a thought on your 'project photos' - would it work to set up each phase you're doing as a project then the before/afters in that project?
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:40PM
PRO
Art By Gretchen
Yes, good point. It's hard to navigate Houzz as well. I have my biz stuff and our house is personal. I wasn't' sure how to go about it. I'll try to revamp later when I have time. :-)
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:46PM
onthefence
LOL - yep. With kids, a career and a remodel I'm betting time is in short supply ;-)
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 6:04PM
More Discussions
help with marble cut
excuse the drawings...I selected this striated modern...
bathroom lights
We have a 6 ft long mirror that is 4 ft tall. I want...
A flag for a custom frame.
Hey Guys, Any idea where I can find a beautiful...
1st remodel
Kitchen is my biggest dilemma. Cabinets will stay to...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.