Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Judy
January 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We've decided on a slipcover sofa. Now, we need to choose a fabric and need help. We don't care for the over-wrinkly look. We don't have small children but do have a dog who sometimes digs/likes to rub his face in the sofa. We are retired, not overly messy people, but don't want to baby our furniture either. What kind of fabric might be best for us? We're considering mfgr's PB, Ethan A, Four Seasons, Kinkaid and Lexington. Thanks for any help.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Mona Ives
The manufacturer is more to do with the durability of the piece - you get what you pay for. Ethan Allen or Lexington are better brands in my opinion. Fabric wise you should go for a cotton or cotton blend fabric. Linen will always look wrinkled no matter what. ook at the fabric content and ask to take a sample of the fabric home and sit on it a few times to see how it holds up...
January 20, 2012 at 8:35am   
PRO
Decor Innovation Designs
The best pet and child friendly fabrics for furniture are very tight-weaved microfiber fabric or microsuede. The weave is too tight for the cats and dogs to get their claws into, and the fabric is very easy to clean, you can wipe spots with just warm water.They come in a variety of colors and prints that don’t show pet hair as easily as solid colors dose.
January 20, 2012 at 9:16am     
ltlieb
I have always used white cotton or cotton blend fabrics for my slipcovers. They look great and can be machine washed and bleached. Ethan Allen has some great fabrics as well as Lee Industries who has many customizable pieces. Price point for Lee may be a little higher than Ethan Allen. Crate and Barrel even has a great line of slipcovered sofas made by Modern Concepts. I think their white slipcover fabric is called deso snow. I have it and it has held up great with kids and animals - over 5 years.
January 20, 2012 at 11:32am     
Judy
Thank you all so much - this has been very helpful!
Judy
January 20, 2012 at 12:42pm   
PRO
Lynne Barton Bier - Home on the Range Interiors
A company we love for slipcovered sofas Is Rags Home Furnishings. The pictured sofa can be made in a 3 cushion as well and they have great fabrics to choose from.
I would check the durability of the fabric by looking at their double rub count. Here is a link you might want to check out that has some information from Kravet fabrics about fabric durability http://www.ibbdesign.com/blog/?p=2617
This is the link to the furniture company I mentioned http://www.usarags.com/Sofas/pages/5919%20Lindsay%20Sofa.htm
January 21, 2012 at 9:38am   
PRO
Eklektik Interiors
You should really look into using a Sunbrella fabric. They were originally designed for outdoor furniture but they have come a long way and the ones put out by Joe Ruggerio for Miles Talbot have a beautiful hand...you would never know it was Sunbrella. But the best part is they are completely washable and you can even put bleach on it and it won't change the color. I use it a lot especially when children and pets are involved. Check into it, you will be amazed and you'll love it.
March 6, 2012 at 8:19pm     
marriet1
Looks like a great, comfortable couch! The kind you cuddle up on and take a little nap!
March 9, 2012 at 7:48pm   
cunningcathy
Lee Industries offers a wide variety of slipcovered furniture. I own a sofa and have ordered their fabric for slipcovers. The fabric cleans well and the furniture is comfy and well made.
March 10, 2012 at 5:04am     
trishu
the picture is strait out of a Pottery Barn catalog. It is actually advertizing the sofa cover. It cost $199. It is on a PB couch.Saw it in the last catalog that I recieved, so its pretty current.
March 10, 2012 at 6:45am     
Judy
Yep. I added the picture because it was the subject of my question. By the way, I decided on the Four Seasons Alexandria sofa and love seat in the cotton fabric Tempo White. Should be ready in early April, can't wait!
March 10, 2012 at 7:09am     
This room is dedinitely me. Love, Love, Love it!!
March 10, 2012 at 7:44am     
Lisa Ward
since you have a pet I recommend a nice microfiber
April 15, 2012 at 10:40pm   
seashell14
Do not get microfiber.Not pleasant to live with long.A good quality white denim wears well and can be bleached.I have raised 3 boys and dogs and sofa still looks great after 10 years and many washes..
May 27, 2012 at 7:38am     
ikeltz
Judy, I would love to know how you like your Alexandria sofa, as that is the one we are currently thinking of purchasing.
February 15, 2013 at 5:46pm   
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I have a dog that does this: LINEN ROCKS with dogs. I'm talking the heavy duty belgium linen. We have a slipcovered camel back mitchell gold sofa with linen. When we first got her she would pee out of excitement-she was only 8 months and her bladder wasn't matured entirely. We trained her to not do that but we washed the linen alot and steamed it once back on the sofa . We also have 4 cats. Linen can really take a beating. And it doesn't get holes in it as easily as some cottons and even some cheap denims.
February 15, 2013 at 5:52pm   
judianna20
Pee pee and all I would take that little cutie pie. May I ask her breed?
February 15, 2013 at 6:05pm     
judianna20
Just a suggestion…Rue La La, My Habit, and One King's Lane have the most incredible buys. You just have to sign up and be patient.

Last week, Rue La La had Mitchell Gold furniture and the white slipcovered sofa, which retails for $3800.00 was selling for $1200.00. $9.95 delivery charge !!!!!

Otherwise, my recommendation for the toughest, cleanable fabric ever which is so rich looking is Ultra Suede or Sensuede.
February 15, 2013 at 6:17pm   
squishy00
Where can I get those pillows. I LOVE this room.
February 15, 2013 at 6:38pm   
squishy00
If you carry off the look in the above picture. You will never tire of this room. Just beautiful.
February 15, 2013 at 6:41pm   
PRO
Thanks! She is part pit and schnauzer terrier . A mutt! -we are crazy about her. Thankfully she is a quick learner and grew out of the peeing indoors.
February 15, 2013 at 7:12pm   
PRO
You gotta use heavy weight fabric for pets. There are ratings when you shop for fabrics-you want to look at how many double rubs the fabric takes until it gets a hole into it. Don't do anything less than 100,000 -150,000 double rubs in my opinion. You also need to check on if the fabric will pill. I've used sunbrella on one slipcover for a sunny room and it did pill on me and I was disappointed.
February 15, 2013 at 7:14pm   
Judy
To Ikeltz... We're very happy with our Alexandria sofa. We tend to sit in the same place all the time so once in a while I rotate the cushions - the 3 from the sofa and the 2 from the love seat. I've had to wash the slipcovers a couple of times and they come out fine. We bought 2 chairs too - they are also super comfy and they swivel and rock. This pic shows our furniture a little, I shot it mostly to show someone the TV...
February 16, 2013 at 5:28am     
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
Beautiful room Judy.
February 16, 2013 at 5:33am   
wmpj
I recommend a leather sofa since you have pets. It's easy to clean and the fur comes right off. I have a leather sofa and loveseat and two dogs. I did't allow the dogs on the furniture for the first few years after we bought them but now I do. Any dirt or fur that gets on them wipes right off.
February 16, 2013 at 5:35am   
squishy00
gorgeous room
February 16, 2013 at 5:48am   
DIAspoton
love this room. a wonderful mix of color and texture. the shelving doesn't seem cluttered due to similar items and ltd color.
February 16, 2013 at 5:50am     
cwalbrun19
Surefit makes slipcovers in 2 and 3 piece sets (seat cushion, frame and back cushions for detachable). Supposidly it basicly eliminates the need for adjustment you have with the typical slipcover. I can't say I know anything about ethan allen slipcovers and if they offer this feature, but of course there decor is lovely and high quality. I think if I was paying the money for an ethan allen slipcover however, I would probably just invest in a new sofa as I'm sure they are costly.
February 16, 2013 at 2:25pm     
ikeltz
Judy, thanks so much for answering my question regarding the Alexandria sofa. We are definitely going to go with a sofa and loveseat in the Alexandria line, except we are going to get the Alexandria Grand, which is just a little deeper and longer. I love your chairs! The colors you chose are lovely. Now I have to decide what fabric. I love the oatmeal colored linen, so we'll see.
February 16, 2013 at 4:26pm   
coca360
THAT LOOKS GREAT : P. IF U WANT A NOTHER COACH TRY GREEN WITH WHITE OR BROWN PILLOWS. SORRY MY KEY OARD IS STUCK ON CAPS LOCK.
February 16, 2013 at 4:57pm   
Judy
ikeltz, I'm sure you'll be happy with your decision - post some pics when you are all set up! I'd love to see it.
and squishy, that picture I originally posted IS from Pottery Barn (used as an example). Maybe they're still selling those pillows.
February 16, 2013 at 5:31pm   
einportlandor
Just don't make the mistake I did . . . two beautiful EA chairs with fab heavy cotton burnt orange upholstery (what can I tell you, I love orange). They faded terribly because I had them in a west-facing window. They are still in excellent condition but they look way more shabby than chic because of the uneven color. Wish the sales guy had given me a heads-up. Heads-up!
February 16, 2013 at 5:53pm   
ikeltz
Judy, I will definitely post pics, but one more question. Did you get the standard cushions or down? Thanks again.
February 16, 2013 at 6:42pm   
Judy
We went with the standard cushions.
February 17, 2013 at 3:33am   
bathdilemna
I am also looking at a slipcovered sofa for our beach house. I am leaning towards the Pottery Barn Comfort in a washed linen/cotton ivory. I am debating whether to look at the Crate and Barrel Willow as well. The only thing is their white is really white (I prefer off white/ivory) unless you special order. It also only comes with the straight arms (no option for rolled which I would order from PB). I will have to look at sample fabrics. I read negative reviews online about the PB but you can't always believe what you read. Any recommendations? Thanks.
August 22, 2013 at 8:10pm   
Judy
Pardon my redundancy, but I'm super happy with my Four Seasons Alexandria. I've had occasion to wash a cover or two and they turn out great and are easy to get back on. The FS white is more of an ivory than white-white. We looked at PB too, and liked them, but ultimately went with FS. Good luck.
August 23, 2013 at 4:45am   
micheleritchie
I've had a Four Seasons sofa and chair for several years. I also have three dogs and three cats. The slip covers are constantly in the washing machine and they have held up beautifully. They are the aqua mattress ticking style. The only problem I've had is the zippers on the pillows do break. Even so, I couldn't be happier. I'm ready for a new set of slip covers but the ones I have still look great!
August 25, 2013 at 4:23pm   
bathdilemna
I've never heard of Four Seasons. I'm googling the name trying to find this line. Does anyone know off hand if there are dealers in DE?
August 26, 2013 at 6:54pm   
bathdilemna
Ahh walked into a furniture store at the DE beaches that was recommended to me for slipcovered sofas and what line do they carry? Four Seasons! They are comparably or even better priced than the similar PB sofa and I was told Four Seasons is much better quality. I think I found my sofa! Thanks for the recommendation!
September 2, 2013 at 8:03pm     
Judy
Good work!
September 3, 2013 at 5:05am   
kboehning
Hi Judy! Just came across this while searching for reviews on four seasons furniture! We tried out the sofa in the showroom but with down feathers and thought it would break down to fast. But they don't have the standard pillows to test out, so I'm a little hesitant to order without fanny testing! Also they didn't have a chair in the Alexandria line. Which one did younger. The one they showed was to low for my husband. He isn't a giant, just felt like it sat low! Glad to hear your happy with the couches! Makes me feel better!
January 3, 2014 at 5:40pm   
Judy
I was just cuddled up on it the other day and said to my husband: I'm sure happy with this sofa! So, yes, I'm still happy :)
January 4, 2014 at 5:16am   
More Discussions
How to add character with paint and landscaping
Just moved into this ranch home and we are going to...
Need help in deciding whether to place hardwood over in floor heating
New addition in cottage on river. I want to create...
Blah Kitchen
I have a Huge kitchen with many cabinets/drawers which...
help! we ruined our house
We put on a black roof then sandblasted our cinder...
New flooring
Thanks to the March ice storm, we are getting to update...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.