Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Caroline D
January 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Help! How can I update the outside of our house? It's a 1970's westcoast contemporary in Vancouver, BC. I plan to replace the windows, but don't know how I can make them more updated. Should I go for black or chrome frames? With the glass divided into 2 or 3 sections instead of the current long windows? What should I do to the front door? The disco bubble glass must go!! Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Corey Klassen Interior Design
You have a contemporary house but it sounds like you want to make it more traditional. Do not add mullions or chrome exterior, it's not this houses' style. Keep everything large and simple so single lite windows with black exterior trim, a grey-green for the band-board and narrow reed glass in a horizontal direction for the front door. Clean and easy on the eyes.

To highlight this, some of the landscaping could use a bit of a tweak because it seems to be over scaled for the period of the home.
December 4, 2012 at 11:59pm   
greenthumb2
I would cut the pfitzer out. It is the bush by the fireplace. When weather and season permits of course, I would also scale way back on the right side tree area as well. Take a look at lower maintenance front yards in the area. Go about a five mile radius around the home and make notes about which yards you like and why. It's very helpful to learn from the neighbor's yards as to what plants are happiest in your zone. avoids wasting dollars on your yard.

Front door area. I would go to the photos section on houzz and do a search parameter. front entry.craftsman and see what comes up. If those are too traditional, try eclectic. Then, try modern. There will be something that speaks to you.

You have a wonderful home with nice lines. Corey Klassen is right. Horizontal lines are easy on the eyes. Keep your improvements timely and clean lined. You won't go wrong.

This is what someone did to their home in canada. They used glass and concrete to create a more modern feel. Your home can't take this scale of window and concrete. But, the picture shows a different color palete outside and type of squaring and rectangular yard area that will bring your home to a more modern feel. Just don't lose the timelessness of your home in too many changes.
http://www.houzz.com/photos/modern/updated-craftsman-canada-
December 5, 2012 at 12:32am   
doublelp
Plaster the brick and then paint it, get a new door
December 5, 2012 at 1:49am   
doublelp
Plaster the brick and then paint it, get a new door
December 5, 2012 at 1:50am   
charleee
I agree with greenthumb2, lose all the bushes. I don't know why anyone would think those kind of plants are a good idea. Go with Japanese maples, if they will work in your area.
December 5, 2012 at 2:16am     
More Discussions
Help with my living room
Hi everyone who can help. This is my third time putting...
Paint color for cherry wood floors
Help!!! I'm having paint commitment issues! Trying...
5 Ingenious Places to Install a Shoe Cabinet
Http://www.bonito.in/2014/5-ingenious-places-to-install-shoe-cabinets/...
Book shelf design ideas - What are the best places to have book shelve
Http://www.bonito.in/2014/book-shelf-design-ideas-what-are-the-best-places-to-have-book-shelves-in-home/ This...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.