Readers' Choice: The 10 Most Popular Home Gyms of 2012
Houzzers happily went to court last year, as rooms for basketball — and for weight lifting, yoga and swimming — piqued their interest
New Year's resolutions inevitably involve an upgrade in a fitness routine, and installing a home gym is one of the best ways to make that happen. Take a look at the most popular home gym photos from 2012, based on the number of ideabooks they've been added to; maybe they'll kick-start a home workout room of your own.
1. Michigan home for basketball lovers. This carpeted indoor basketball court can be seen from all of the main rooms in the house, so the family members can cheer one another on. Houzz users loved how this incredible court can double as a workout room.
2. Warm and stylish Colorado gym. Houzz readers know that home gyms don't have to be ugly. This room proves it with sleek laminate flooring, wood paneling and a sage-green accent wall.
3. TV time in Orange County. Houzz users were curious about the TV in this room in California. Installing it on the mirror seems complicated, but the seamless look makes it worth it.
4. Spacious Chicago basketball court. This impressive gym has enough space for a decent pickup game. Houzz users saved this photo for everything from the school banners to the soft upholstered walls.
5. Amazing indoor golf simulator in Minnesota. You'd have to hit a lot of golf balls to get a good workout in here, but this golf simulator isn't really about breaking a sweat. Instead, it offers the fun of golf without the walking.
See more of this house
6. Bold colors for a better workout. Electric blue and lime light up this small home gym, creating visual energy for whoever's using it. Houzzers saved this photo for its fun color palette and industrial-style mirror trim.
7. Zen yoga studio in Minnesota. For those who prefer to stretch their way to fitness, a soothing space for yoga could be the perfect new use for that spare room. Cork flooring, off-white walls, paper lanterns and beautiful door hardware all contribute to the soft and slightly exotic look here.
8. Attic workout space in Texas. Gyms often take up residence in basements, but this small home gym shows that they can find room in attics, too. Houzz users especially loved the ceiling fans, which can really make a difference in a stuffy attic space.
9. Light and bright Illinois gym. Surrounded by mirrors, the owners of this home gym won't be able to make a weight-lifting mistake. Crown molding makes sure that the room doesn't feel too bare and hints at the decor in the rest of the house.
10. Beautiful indoor lap pool in Colorado. An in-home lap pool may be the ultimate home gym luxury. For those who prefer water over land, this is a wonderful solution.
Ideabook published on Jan. 13, 2013.
People found the photos in this ideabook after searching for:
View over a million photos:
Find Local Pros by Category:
Architects & Designers · Carpet and Flooring · Closet & Home Storage Designers · Design-build Firms · Fireplaces · General Contractors · Home Media Design & Installation · Interior Designers & Decorators · Kitchen & Bath Designers · Landscape Architects & Designers · Landscape Contractors · Specialty Contractors · Tile, Stone & Countertops
Find Local Pros by Metro Area: